More to Classes than Books

I was still hiccuping when we left class, halfway through Professor Flitwick asked us to find new partners and I paired with Ron who had got the indication correct, but was too quick with the motions, causing his spell to fire in quick successions, hitting me more than once within a few seconds. Naturally I ended up on the floor laughing. Professor Flitwick had to come help once I realized I couldn't stop on my my own. Of course Ron apologized repeatedly afterwards but it wasn't a problem, it was really fun, it got all the ridiculous things I had been thinking off my mind.
    "At least you'll be able to have some water at lunch" Hermione said not finding the situation nearly as funny. Melinda too had found it funny, though she figured if the Cheering Charm hit anyone hard it would be me. I had to agree, I was very prone to find the humor in something quite easily.
    "It's really okay Hermione, I'm fine" I assured her as we sat down, lunch already appearing. I poured myself a large bowl of French onion soup, not having some in quite some time, while the others served themselves various foods, Ron the only one filling his plate to represent a tower.
    "Need you put so much on there?" Hermione asked turning her nose at Ron's plate who shrugged and added a few slices of bread.
    "It's here for a reason Hermione" he countered, a fork full of food already in his mouth. I laughed as Harry finished serving himself a modest amount.
    We talked and ate, I myself listened to Dean, Seamus and Neville talk about different clubs, I hadn't know there was so much one could do in this school besides get confused going up and down stairs. Lavender and her friends came over halfway through, whispering something to Hermione before leaving, deciding to sit on the other end of the table. I didn't bother asking what they were talking about, that only seemed to annoy Lavender, but I didn't have time for petty girls.
    After lunch we we headed to another double class, Defense Against the Dark Arts. I had to admit, I was excited to be going to this class, Hermione and Harry spoke highly of Professor Barrass, saying they would have never guessed he taught in a muggle school. The last class they had they were learning about when it's best to defend and when it's best to disarm; Hermione said it may have sounded simple but Professor Barrass gave them complex scenarios, the answer not always being obvious or right.
    I slid in my seat, notebook and textbook opened. It took another five minutes before the professor walked in, closing the door behind him. "I hope everyone enjoyed lunch" he started. "Alright, onward from last class..." he turned to the board, calling on various students to help him split between stop or Defend. The rest of the lesson we spent discussing if we saw an seemingly innocent person create a spell that could cause harm to a great number of people but benefit an even greater amount of people would we, possessing the ability try to stop him by any means possible or would we would defend his right and even help. Most people sided with thinking it was a moral decision, but a few said if he was going help more people it was only right to defend him. He countered with what if that person's beliefs were wrong, siting Lord Voldemort as an example. For homework he assigned us to write our own scenario in which we had to state whether we'd Stop or defend someone. Hermione was right, it wasn't always easy.
    After class I stayed behind, slowly approaching his desk. Melinda glanced at me but gave her a smile, hoping to convey everything was alright. "Tammie" Professor Barrass said as he cleared the chalkboard and started clearing off his desk.
    "Hi"
    "How can I help you?"
    "I just wanted to apologize, I know I was being really harsh last time."
    "You weren't, and I get it, your trust in thinly distributed, I couldn't imagine how I'd feel being in your shoes."
    "Doesn't give me the right to be angry with you. I get you were trying to protect us" I looked down. "I just, there was nothing, you could've said something, anything, the smallest of hints" I told him.
    "Maybe you missed them" he said as I wrinkled my nose. "How many times have you been in my class?"
    "I don't know, a bunch"
    "And how many plants have you seen that you didn't recognize?" I thought back to the many times he attended his plants in the middle of class and how he always had weird books laying around.
    "I just assumed they weren't from America or you were a bad Gardener" I admitted as he laughed.
    "What about all those times I've substituted last minute? You know I don't live close. And getting a classroom so clean? There have been signs all around Tammie. Sometimes our minds have trouble processing what's right in front because we're not ready" he explained.
    "Why didn't you just tell us on Halloween or something?"
    "Like it's been said before, you two had to willingly want to come, all I could do was leave breadcrumbs and hope for the best."
    "Did you expect us to stay?"
    "You, absolutely, Melinda, I was honestly on the fence about, I know she's close to her parents and being that they didn't her want exposed—"
    "Is it just because they're not magical?"
    "Honestly, there's probably more even I don't know about. A lot else happened before Voldemort fell and after." I wanted to ask more but the next class was already coming in. "Go on" he said with a kind smile. I nodded and turned around, nearly bumping into Oliver.
    "Taking a seventh year class Tammie?" He said with a winning smile.
    "I was leaving, had to talk the Professor for a moment" I told him.
    "Cool, those your things?" He asked thumbing at the bag and wand at one of the empty desk.
    "Yeah," I said as he went to retrieve them.
    "Still good for Saturday?" I nodded, happy he remembered.
    "Allen" Professor Barrass said as he tried to look stern.
    "I'm going, I'm going; see you later Oliver" I said patting his arm and headed out of the classroom to find the others for some quality studying time.
    The rest of the week seemed to fly by. Either I was in class learning, somewhere catching up, eating or sleeping. Wednesday morning I came down late, only to find another large package had arrived. Once again, the package was full of books. Hermione asked again if they were from my mom, I said yes, but I had a feeling she knew I was lying.
    At least I was well prepared for my remaining classes, Care of Magical Creatures, Herbology, History of Magic and Astronomy, though they weren't nearly as captivating as my classes during the first two days. I honestly expected more from Care of Magical Creatures but Hagrid wasn't a professor, though I did get a chance to meet him when Harry introduced me. Instead the class was taught by a skinny man named Professor Righttail who had a high pitched voice and often showed us pictures of the beast we'd learn about rather than the beasts themselves. Ron said the professor kept promising to bring a Nuffler but the class figured he'd was lying.
    History of Magic nearly brought me to tears, the only saving grace was that we had class with Ravenclaw. Even Peeves couldn't make it interesting who kept coming in and singing the Hogwarts school song to the tune of a funeral march. I decided Professor Binns was the worst professor, at least in Divination I didn't feel like I was going to fall asleep. Astronomy wasn't terrible, the Professor was very pleased to hear I was a Virgo and as a means to catch up simply asked me to write a short essay explaining my sign and how it connected with the night sky.
    I hadn't gotten approved for Muggle Studies until Professor McGonagall informed me Friday before bed, it was a nice relief that I would feel familiar with at least one subject. Which is what I told Fred as we continued our walk, something I had greatly looked forward to.
    Saturday morning came and I sat alone in my usual spot at the Gryffindor table. Harry was out with the team and Ron and Hermione had gone to go with him, he had forget his helmet or something and he didn't want to be yelled at by Oliver. The twins offered to bring it out, but Harry didn't three of them in trouble. I wished everyone good luck before they left and continued eating my oatmeal. I had hoped to see Melinda first to wish her a happy birthday but when I arrived she wasn't even in the Great Hall. I had to assume her friends were doing something special or they were already outside. "Are you watching the game?" Draco asked as he sat down next to me. I looked around, thinking he had to be talking to someone else. I hadn't talked to him much during our classes together, a few nods and mumbles of hello, but only one or two real conversations.
    "Of course, Ravenclaw against Gryffindor, who'd miss that."
    "I figured you'd be into the sport" he said as I nodded, still eating but cautious that he might flip my bowl over something.
    "Yeah, I actually spent some time trying to read the book last night. I'm supposed to meet with Oliver after the game if I'm still interested" I explained as Draco gave me a disapproving look. "You know, it's none of your business who I meet with" I said referring to his expression.
    "I don't care what you do, he's just a bit, old isn't he?"
    "Oliver? He's a seventh year."
    "And you're a fourth."
    "Why do you care?" I asked feeling my tempter a little elevated. He hadn't properly spoken to me since Thursday and now he wanted to criticize who I wanted to hang out with. "Besides, he only wants to teach me how to fly and better understand Quidditch" I told him as I pushed my bowl aside and stood up.
    "That's why I got you that book" he mumbled as we both looked at each other, he must have realized what he said because suddenly his eyes grew like saucers. "I mean—"
    "What?" I asked.
    "Nothing"
    "No, no, you can't say nothing, what about the book?"
    "Books" he whispered.
    "Books? As in all my textbooks?" I asked as Draco remained silent. "Why?" I asked him but still no answer. "Well I'll give them back."
    "It's fine"
    "No, it's not. I can't afford to be in your debt"
    "You're not"
    "You gave me all my textbooks!" I hissed at him as we paused to look around. It wasn't a secret that Gryffindor and Slytherin didn't get along, I was confident if anyone found out I'd be shunned. Especially those who knew my father was a Slytherin. "Is it because of my dad?" I asked.
    "What? No, I just...I wanted to help" he said as I shook my head. He didn't help people. Twice I had seen him laugh at a group of first years who almost fell off a staircase when it unexpectedly started to move. Another time he merely watched on as Crabbe picked on a second year who mistakenly asked him how to get to the Dungeon. Draco wasn't nice. He was smart, he got almost every question right he was asked, though rarely raised his hand, all his homework came back correct and he even remembered little things I told him, like how I wanted a dog when I was five and was furious when I learned my mom was allergic. Though, looking back I still couldn't remember why I decided to tell him that story.
    "I'm not a Slytherin" I told him as he rolled his eyes. "Is that what all this is for? You want me accept I'm like you or something just because my father was in Slytherin?" I asked.
    "No!"
    "Then why?" I exclaimed as he fell silent. "Draco?"
    "Because..." he trailed off, staring at whoever was coming up behind me. "I gotta go" he said as he walked away. I turned around, ready to yell at whoever it was but was slightly relieved to see Melinda.