Sweets and Treats

We were running to Three Broomsticks, I barely had enough time to put my broom away before realizing it was going on two o'clock. "I said I didn't wanna be late!" I shouted as Oliver ran in front of me, offering to show me the way.
"It's not that late" he said but I rolled my eyes, this was my mother, I was surprised she hadn't sent a search party. "Here" he said stopping suddenly as I skidded to a stop inches behind him. "Do you want me to go in with you?" He asked as I envisioned him meeting my mom. "I can at least apologize" he offered as he held the door open. It was darker than I imagined a pub to be, but also cleaner.
"There she is" I said motioning to the back as my mom sat at a table by herself, hugging her jacket together as she looked at a cup. "Mom" I called out as she looked up, her worried eyes turning to overwhelming joy.
"Oh sweetie!" She said as she got up, tossing her jacket aside and came over to hug me. I didn't know why but I had the urge to cry. So much had happened in this short week and this was the longest I had gone without seeing or hearing from her. Letters were one thing but I missed the phone calls and seeing her face. "I can't believe this" she said, her eyes dancing as she beamed down at me. "My little girl—" she paused, must have noticed Oliver standing behind us.
"Hello, I'm Oliver Wood, I apologize for your daughter's lateness" he said as they shook hands, mom's eyes turning to ones of protection and judgment.
"And what exactly where you doing with her to cause her to be late?"
"Quidditch, we were going over Quidditch, he was showing me how to ride a broom" I told her as she looked over him again.
"Are you on the team?"
"Captain" he proudly stated. "Your daughter is a natural, we'd love for her to be on the team" he added.
"You must have your father's talent and my brains" mom teased as she smoothed my hair. "He was a Chaser."
"That's exactly the position we're looking for" Oliver said excitedly.
"Well, it's obviously up to Tammie, but, I don't see why I'd object" she said. "I've only seen a few games myself, terrifying really, but good fun." It was hard listening to my mom talk about her magical days as if it was completely ordinary, as if a week ago I wasn't shocked to find out I was a witch. "If you don't mind Wood I'd like some time with Tammie, we have a lot to talk about and very little time" she said checking her watch and frowning.
"Yes, of course, can I get either of you a drink before I leave?" He asked politely. I looked at mom who seemed pleased to hear the question.
"We'll be fine, thank you again" she said shaking his hand goodbye as she guided me back to her table. I gave Oliver a half smile as he waved and left.
"Mom" I said as I sat down, having no idea where to start. "Why had you not told me? What—when..." I trailed off, still unable to comprehend everything.
"It was your father's wishes. He wanted to raise you in a muggle community. I hated hiding it, but, he was very adamant. When he passed I just wanted to honor his wishes. It was so hard to keep it from you. And then harder when I met Professor Barrass. We've only wanted the best for you girls" she said as she rubbed my shoulder.
"Why would dad want to hide all this?"
"I don't know, he was a great man, but, he had a lot of secrets, a lot he never talked about. When he moved over the only thing I knew was that he had help from the Guilds, Melinda's grandparents. That was how they knew each other, said if anything happened to him you'd be safe knowing Melinda's family. That's why I've always been so pushy about you two being friends. And why I've had a hard time moving. I thought Mrs. Sawyer would come around to wanting to move, you and Melinda both attending Ilvermorny but I think she thought Melinda was a muggle." I tried hanging on to everything she said, it was a lot to take in.
"Did you know I was leaving Halloween night?"
"I knew Professor Barrass talked to the Headmaster and they arranged a portkey but I wasn't sure you'd find it. They sent word as soon as you two arrived" she explained as I bit my lip, debating on telling her my experience with the curtain. "I hoped you'd find it of course, I wanted this day to come for years" she said proudly.
"You didn't want to homeschool me?"
"Absolutely not, I hated being homeschooled, imagine knowing you're a witch and instead of attending a beautiful castle full of all the best knowledge you're stuck at home" she said as I laughed, at least it made sense why she was always asking if I wanted to move.
"Mom..." I shifted, not sure how to explain Draco's actions. "Draco gave me some textbooks. Okay, all my textbooks, and a broom. I don't know if we have enough to pay him back and he refuses to take anything back."
"That's incredible generous, did he say why?" I shook my head.
"I think it has something to do with dad being in Slytherin. You don't know anything about his family or friends?" Mom shook her head.
"I wish I had more for you, I'll look though, there's a box in the attic I was never able to open, but the morning after Halloween I went to put away that Skeleton head and the box was just sitting there open. I hadn't gone through anything yet." I wanted to yell at her. How was she not tempted to go through everything that was previously sealed? "It has your name on it" she added.
"Do you think you'll have a chance to send it to me?" I asked as she smiled.
"I was hoping you'd ask" she said pulling out her purse. "I'm so glad you're updated now, I don't have to hide anything from you" she said, I started to reply that it didn't mean I understand anything but she was pulling out a large box.
"How..." I started to ask but shook my head, it had to be some kind of charm.
"I can carry this to the castle for you" she suggested.
"No, it's okay, you look through it first, I'm sure there's stuff you wanna know too" I told her as she smiled and handed me a piece of a necklace.
"This fell out when I picked up the box, I have no clue what it is, but I assumed it broke off something. I couldn't find anything in the box though" she said as I looked at the piece, a black dragon shaped like an S, its wing sharp as it stuck out. I assumed it had something to do with Slytherin.
"House pride probably" I told my mom pocketing the item.
"Well keep it close, he didn't bring much over with him." I nodded, tapping my pocket as she looked at her watch again.
"Am I keeping you?" I teased.
"I wanted to meet with the Ilvermorny headmaster, explain the situation, he knows you're here and that's fine, but I thought it would kind to actually talk in person."
"Can I come?" I asked excitedly.
"Don't be silly" she laughed getting up and finishing her drink. "Come here" she said with her arms open. "Write more, I'll see you soon. I expect you home for the holidays" she said as she hugged me a little tighter.
"Of course" I whispered wishing there was more I was could say. "Are you going to be okay?" I asked knowing she had to feel lonely.
"I've been keeping busy" she said as she let go and we smiled at each other. "Oh! Before I forget" she pulled out her purse again. This time handing over a bag that looked to weigh quite a bit. "I have your key, we can to Gringotts before Christmas if you think you'll need more" she said as I opened the bag to find a more than a sufficient amount of coins.
"Wow, this is...this is a lot" I told her as she smiled.
"Just because we live modestly doesn't mean we converted all our money to American currency" she said and then kissed the top of my head. "Spend it all in one place" she encouraged as I followed her out. "Have fun sweetheart, and learn something interesting, you have a wand for a reason" she started to turn but I grabbed her arm.
"Do I owe money for my wand?" I asked but she shook her head.
"Professor Dumbledore said it was already paid for" I frowned, at least that wasn't from Draco, he had no way of knowing I was coming.
"Strange" I said as she nodded.
"Go on, I think you have some friends waiting" I turned to see the twins and Lee standing some distance away looking on.
"Oh that's..." I started as I turned back to look at my mom but she was gone.
"Who was that?" George asked as they came over.
"My mom, never mind that, where's my candy?" I teased as Lee nodded in the opposite direction.
"Fred made us wait" Lee said as Fred's cheeks flushed.
"You didn't have to" I told them as George nodded.
"Great, see you" he said and then turned and walked off.
"I'm sorry if—"
"Don't apologize, he's just been thinking about that Buldger all morning" Fred said as we started walking back in the direction of the sweet shop.
"That was his?"
"Yeah, it was an accident though, he was trying to hit it at the Quaffle so one of the other Ravenclaw chasers wouldn't catch it but he misjudged" he explained.
"That's awful, I'm sure Cho is okay though."
"Eh, she could be better, Madam Pomfrey took her out of sports for the rest of the term, she seemed to be in a lot of pain. Might end up at St. Mungo's." I whistled, that would sure be unfortunate.
"Who's supposed to take her place?"
"No idea, what did your mom have to say?"
"Just that she was proud and she apologized for keeping all this. And you know, gave me some money and a little trinket from my dad" I said pulling it out to show them.
"Looks familiar" Lee said as I put it back in my pocket. "How was practice? I saw Oliver with some friends but he must not have heard me calling."
"Really fun, I really enjoyed it, he told my mom I would be great as a Chaser" I said as Fred raised an eyebrow.
"He met your mom?"
"He wanted to apologize, we were late" I said as both boys looked at me. "I told you, I had a lot of fun." I couldn't tell what Fred's expressions meant but Lee seemed to clear the rising tension by clearing his throat in a loud obnoxious way.
"Here we are!" He said opening his arms wide as we reached Honeydukes. I followed them in, Fred holding the door as I walked under his arm, unable to not smile back at him, the gesture making my heart flutter.
"What do you wanna try first?" He asked as I felt rooted to the spot, my eyes wide as I looked around at the colorful interior full of every candy I ever imagined and then some. I loved candy, my friends always teased me that I was a sugar monster and could easy get a sugar high. Surprisingly enough I didn't have any cavities.
"I think you're asking the wrong question" I said as I walked over to the lollipops and then moved to licorice wands. "This place has everything..." I whispered as I continued walking around, barely noticing Charity and George off in a corner.
"C'mere" Fred said as he guided me to a sign that read 'CHOCOLATE' "You know me well Fred Weasley" I said with a giant grin as I turned back to read the labels.
"I'll get you a basket" he said as he disappeared.
"So, how did things go with Oliver?" Lee asked sliding next to me. I glanced over my shoulder at Fred.
"It's nothing, we just talked" I told him.
"I know you're not dumb..." he whispered "and neither is Fred" he added as I picked up a chocolate frog.
"Doesn't matter much anyway, he's got Charity" I snorted as Lee followed me down the isle.
"What? No, that's..." he trailed off, shaking his head. "Don't worry about her" he said as I examined a box labeled Honeydukes Best Chocolate.
"Are they together?" I found myself asking.
"Not really" I laughed, feeling dumb I even had even developed a crush on the guy in the first place and even dumber for reading into our nightly walks. "I mean, I don't know really..."
"Right, well, thanks." Fred came over, basket in hand. "I got it, I rather just explore by myself" I told Fred going over to get my own basket, hearing Fred ask what Lee what happened.