I've Seen You Before

I didn't know who started speaking first but Mr. Barrass spoke over both of us, urging us to have a seat. Melinda sat down first, I remained standing by the door, I couldn't believe this man, a teacher we had known since seventh grade and who had kept in contact with our families was standing in front of us, in Hogwarts. Was he a wizard? I mean, he had to be, right? But how? When? So many questions were swirling in my head as I stared at him. "I know this is a bit alarming" he started, approaching us slowly. "But, I swear over time it does get easier to understand" he said as I shook my head. "Tammie, please, have a seat"
"You're a wizard?" I asked him as he nodded and pulled out a wand. "An actual goddamn wizard?"
"Don't swear"
"You're a wizard!" I exclaimed feeling half betrayed, half shocked. We were his favorite students in seventh grade and did quite impressively in his class. During a meeting with our parents, a normal parent teacher conference he clicked with them. When we graduated middle school and went out for a group dinner our moms were both keen on inviting him. I assumed my mom was just lonely and thought he was cute. I always found his lanky appearance and freckled face and dark red hair a bit similar to a certain group of Weasleys for my liking but his personality was what made him a great teacher. As we grew and learned more he was always ready to help whether it be school related or life lessons. I didn't consider him a surrogate father, but he definitely was a positive role model. Someone I thought I could trust and who would never lie. At least so I thought.
"I'm sorry—"
"How long have you known?" I asked him as I felt my eyes water. My whole life was a lie. I knew nothing about myself or my family or apparently the people around me.
"About you two?" He asked; maybe I was being harsh, maybe he just recently discovered he was a wizard.
"Us" Melinda said as I looked over at her.
"Your mom," he paused to nod at me, "back in seventh grade she was supposed to meet me for a one o'clock parent teacher conference. She came a bit early and I wasn't expecting her. I was doing some quick straightening up, using magic. I was going to brush it off, but she asked if Ilvermorny was a good school, she was debating switching you, but she didn't want to move you away from your friends." I stared at him in disbelief, my mom could've mentioned this in her stupid letter, how did she forget all this? I wondered.
"How was Ilvermorny?"
"I didn't go there, I went here, I was a Gryffindor" he said as I laughed, my brain about to explode from this absolute insanity.
"This is a joke, right? Like, an actual joke?" I asked as he glanced over at Melinda and I continued laughing.
"I was born just outside Dublin, I moved just after I graduated, wanted to live a more simple life. I appreciate all things magical and this community but there were so many families out there that had no idea. I wanted to help them. Either help families keep their heritage a secret or help families come to understand and cope with it."
"Was that what my mom asked you to do for me?" Melinda asked, finally speaking up as I sighed and decided to sit.
"Yes, she wanted you as far from this world as possible, I don't know why, I didn't ask, but from my understanding Melinda, your grandparents knew Tammie's father, they helped him come over." Melinda and I turned to look at each other. "I told you guys a long time ago, I always thought you fated to be friends. I didn't know about your families' histories until I spoke with your parents."
"My mom willingly talked to you about it?" Melinda asked.
"Both your mom and dad, they wanted to know what was best for you. You were so smart and school didn't seem challenging enough, there was more to you, more you could be doing, more you could become. I said if you didn't at least have the choice they'd regret it. Tammie, like I said, your mom always wanted you to come here, but she didn't want to go against your dad's wishes."
"Where do you come in?"
"I offered them a connection. I've been back and forth, I spent school years in the muggle community, America, and then summers I travel from there to here, helping along the way. I told them I'd talk to Dumbledore, after my discussion with him we made a push to get your families to approve you coming to Hogwarts. It took about an year of back and forth correspondence—"
"A year!" I exclaimed as Melinda nudged me to hush.
"Yes, a year, careful monitoring, careful set up and even Halloween..." he trailed as he looked down at his feet, the guilt on his face.
"Wait, you did that to my family?"
"Is was their request" he said as Melinda sniffed but didn't say anymore.
"You've been sending them letters and making sure they can send us letters?" I asked as he nodded. "How did you rig the port key?"
"Melinda's mom gave me permission while you were at school a while ago," he explained as he sat down. "I can't answer everything for you guys but if there's questions, please don't hesitate."
"How do you go from consultant to Professor?" I asked, not sure why that was the first question on my mind.
"I've always taught Tammie, my knowledge in muggle history extensive but I've had a deep desire to help people, especially in defending themselves." I nodded and looked at Melinda, at least that was one answer I could be satisfied with. Not that I could even begin to formulate more questions.
"You'll be helping us travel back and forth as needed?" Melinda asked as he nodded. "And you're still be like a guide to us?"
"As long as that's what you want."  
"I don't think that would be a bad idea, as long as we can trust you..." I said, as he tapped his wand on the desk.
"I'm sorry Tammie, it was in everyone's best interest, I was only doing what your families asked to protect you guys" he said in an apologetic tone.
"Sounds like it was everyone's best interest except ours" I replied with attitude as I got up and went over to the door. "I need space, I see you in class I guess" I told him as I slide out, closing the door behind me. If Melinda wanted to stay and talk that was something she could do, I needed to get away and wrap my head around, everything.
Out in the hallway, I walked around, knowing most people were headed to The Great Hall, but I had lost my appetite hours ago. Maybe I'd go find Fred. But he said after dinner hadn't he? Homework? Professor Snape assigned quite a lot of reading and toward the end of lesson he mentioned something about catching up. I reckoned he didn't care that I was new.
Figuring that was the best solution I took the stairs two at a time until I reached the Gryffindor common room. Inside I found Lee Jordan who was playing chess by himself, Charity, Lavender along with a handful of other students from various years. I slowly made my way over to Lee, sitting down across from him and pulling out my Potions book. He didn't look up and I didn't say anything. Already I felt a lot better.
Almost an hour later Lee set the pieces on the table and yawned loudly. "Done reading?" He asked as he leaned back in the chair and crossed his arms over his chest. I looked up, then back at the book, I still had at least ten more pages; Potions was a lot harder to get through, maybe because I was terrible at memorizing ingredients and knowing the difference between any two words that sounded similar. Potions was probably better understand in practice than theory.
"No" I sighed with disappointment as Lee started a new game. "You don't have to stay you know, I can read alone, I don't mind" I told him.
"Yeah, but you looked really stressed when you came in. I didn't want ask, but, you know you're always welcome to talk to me" he said kindly.
"Thanks Lee, it means a lot, really. I'm just confused I guess."
"About what?"
"My history teacher is a professor here" I told him as he raised an eyebrow.
"Professor Binns?" He asked with great skepticism. I laughed suddenly wondering why I hadn't seen any ghost, Did I just overlook them because my mind couldn't process anymore or was it so common and expected that I didn't give it much though?
"Muggle school; he taught History class and now he's here, teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts."
"Oh you mean Professor Barrass! I like him, he's cool" he gave a thumbs up. "Don't be so hard on him, or anyone really, I'm sure everyone was just looking out for you" he said as I sighed and slouched in the chair.
"Fred wants to take me for a walk later" I told him, not ready to forgive Professor Barrass or my mom.
"Really?" Lee asked as he glanced over his shoulder. Charity was still sitting on the couch.
"Why do you keep looking at her when I mention Fred's name?" I asked already figuring it was because there was something I didn't know or didn't want to know. "If he has a girlfriend—"
"He doesn't have a girlfriend" Lee interrupted, quite bluntly. "If he asks you for a walk, go."
"What if it's after hours?"
"You mean at night? So? Loads of students have gone for walks outside of their common rooms after bedtime."
"Filch is doing a really bad job..." I mumbled but caught Lee's smirk.
"It's Mrs Norris you gotta watch out for" he hinted with a wink, "anyway, go, see what he wants." I started to ask Lee, they were friends but I had a feeling he wouldn't tell me, not that he had my best interest in mind or anything, but didn't want to spoil whatever his friend did have in mind.
"What do you think of Oliver Wood?"
"Smart, talented, pain the ass, good fellow. Why, your friend interested?" He asked as I started to ask who he meant but remembered he did meet Melinda.
"Just curious." He frowned but after a moment he shrugged and started to clean up.
"Have you eaten?"
"Wasn't hungry" he laughed and stood up, holding out his hand.
"C'mon, can't have you starving your first week. What would your mother say?" He teased as I reluctantly closed the book and stood up.
"Maybe it's in my best interest" he laughed loudly, obnoxiously really as I rolled my eyes and I started out of the common room, Lee catching up, still obnoxiously laughing and slapping his knee.
"Comedian, honestly" he said as we arrived in The Great Hall where he finally settled down, pretending to wipe his eyes of tears.
"You're one of the most obnoxious friends I've ever had" I told him as we sat down, the rest of the tables quickly filling up.
"Yes, but I am a friend" he countered as I rolled my eyes and searched the table for something that looked familiar.
"Hey there" Harry said as he sat down, Ron next to him and Hermione on my other side, extra books in her hand as she spread them out and opened one up.
"I'll see you later!" Lee said getting up and waving; I waved back, I was happy I had at least one person who wasn't phased by anything I did wrong or right, but that was probably because he had so much practice being around the twins and being a troublemaker himself.
"What were you two talking about?" Ron asked helping himself to everything.
"Professor Barrass" I said glancing up at the staff table, Professor Barrass indeed sitting there talking to another witch I didn't recognize.
You heard about him huh?" Ron asked.
"He taught my seventh grade history class." Ron made a 'huh' noise but I waved him off, I didn't feel like explaining muggle classes.
"That must be fascinating to see him here" Hermione said as she propped a book against some juice.
"Not the word I would use, but, definitely unexpected."
"Did you get any answers?" Harry asked.
"Some but not nearly enough" I said as he nodded in understanding. Not wanting to discuss it anymore I stuffed some bread into my mouth as I took in the sites around me, ghosts and Peeves included.