Chapter 5

Tectonic woke up with a gasp.

Memories memories memories, his mind whispered. 

He sat up and looked around at his friends. They were all sound asleep, except for Celestial, who was watching the sunset. 

"I don't like sleeping when the sun is perfectly high," she replied to his stare. "Besides," she added with a nod at the others behind her. "Someone needs to keep watch." 

They sat and watched the sunrise together, and finally Tectonic said, "Why did you leave? A few days ago, I woke up and you were a tiny speck on the horizon."

Celestial didn't respond at first. Then she said, "I was going hunting."

"That far away?" Tectonic asked skeptically. 

"I wasn't planning on leaving you. I went off to hunt, and I really wanted to see the Kingdom of the Sun again. I was scouting ahead, and then I was going to come right back, I promise. I would never leave on my own without telling you first." she confessed with a sob. "I'm sorry."

"I-it's okay." Tectonic said. "I believe you." 

"The others are waking up," Celestial said. Just as she did, Twilight blinked, yawned, and slowly sat up.

"Time to move. Again." Orbit sighed, shaking out her wings and stretching her legs. 

"Earlier, you were complaining about not moving," Streak observed. 

"Well," Orbit shot her an indignant look. "Now my wings hurt, and I just woke up. It makes sense for me to not want to move now."

Pisces rolled her eyes at both of them and shot Twilight a smile. 

Was that how obvious he looked with Celestial?

"You two are hopeless," Orbit rolled her eyes. 

Tectonic nearly leapt back until he realized she was talking to Pisces and Twilight. 

"Let's go," Celestial said, shaking her head and spreading her wings. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They arrived at the border of the Planet Kingdom by the time the sun was rising. Tectonic shivered. He didn't like this sleeping during the day business either, but he and Celestial were overruled by the others, who had lived like this since they were fresh out of the egg. 

"Please can we fly a bit longer?" he asked, looking longingly at the sun on the horizon. 

"Fine," Pisces sighed. "It wouldn't do much harm to fly in the day."

"We'd stand out like, well, NightWings in the day, we'll probably be spotted by a patrol-"

"Not helping, Twilight," Pisces growled, but her eyes were playful nonetheless. Twilight grinned. 

"Like I said: Absolutely and utterly HOPELESS," Orbit joked, knocking into Pisces. 

"Ow," Pisces said, regaining her balance. 

"Everyone stop fighting," Streak sighed. "We're nearly there." 

Tectonic's necklace jiggled as he flew. He didn't even remember where he got it, he just knew that it was there. 

He stared ahead at the great castle looming on the horizon. His wings faltered, just the slightest, and suddenly he was tumbling out of the sky. 

"AH!" he roared, trying to unfold his wings and right himself. 

OW. Why does it feel like my wings are being held together? He wondered, trying to untwist himself from whatever was tangled around him. Why can't I see my attacker - OH NO. 

"HHEEEELLLPPP!!" he screamed, staring into the sky. Suddenly, a golden bolt shot right out of the sky, causing whatever was on Tectonic to fall off. But it was too late at that point. He hit the ground. Hard. The last thing he remembered was staring up into Celestial's indigo eyes and hearing muffled voices. Then the world slowly faded into black.