Chapter 5: The Interview

Rachel's POV

A few days ago both Avery and I received phone calls from Senator Abner's office inviting us for interviews. I usually don't get nervous, but for some reason I am. Is it because now this opportunity feels real? Or because the competitive side of me can't stand failing?  I don't know, but whatever it is I need to get it together soon because my interview is in an hour.

I raid my suitcase again after the fifth time trying to come up with the perfect outfit. Better said than done though, because almost everything I own is all black. I don't want to look like I'm dressed for a funeral, but what are my choices?

I know I'm totally overthinking this, it's what I do. I over-think. If my middle name wasn't Nala it would definitely be over-thinker. To everyone else I'm always cool, calm, confident, and collected, but the truth is I'm always at war with my mind.

After a few more changes I end up settling for a white blouse, black slacks, and black pumps. I look on the dresser for some earrings as my phone gets a notification. I walk over to the bed and laugh when I open the message.

 I walk over to the bed and laugh when I open the message

Before I'm late I take one last look in the mirror. I take a deep breath and head out the door.

I decide walking in fifteen minutes early is good enough to make an impression. I walk over to the receptionist desk and give my name and interview time. She tells me to take a seat, so I try to find one where I can be alone with my thoughts.

"Hi, I'm Nina", says the brunette girl sitting three seats away from me.

Welp, there goes that plan.

"Hi, Rachel", I reply back automatically shifting my focus away from her view.

"Are you here for the internship interviews?"

No shit Sherlock.

"Yes, are you?", I ask like I really care what the hell she's here for.

"Yes, What time is yours?"

Damn, she sure does ask a lot of questions.

"12:30."

"Oh my interview is at 1:00, but I've been here-", she pauses to look at her watch. "For about 20 minutes."

"Oh cool you really must be excited."

She nods her head. "And I just think it's professional." She looks me up and down like she's judging me.

Thankfully the receptionist calls my name.

"Good luck Rebecca", I hear from the annoying wench that has been pestering me for the last few minutes.

I turn around and she's smirking. What a bitch. She's trying to throw me off so I bomb this interview. It's not going to happen though.

The receptionist walks me to a room where I see three people seated on one side of a table. They all stand up and shake my hand. The woman in the middle who introduces herself as the Chief of Staff gestures for me to sit in the seat facing opposite of them." Welcome Rachel. Why don't we start off with you telling us a little bit about yourself."