Chapter 103: It's Us Against The World

Jennifer's POV

"With news of Mayor Mitchell Blackwell suspending his campaign that leaves only three candidates in the race."

"Glenn have we ever seen anything like this before? Two major candidates have thrown in the towel back to back. What do you think is going on?"

"As we get closer to the primaries I think we're seeing some of these candidates wake up and realize their pipe dream is not what the voters envision. Voters want to connect with a candidate, they want to believe in something, they want to believe that this person has a good chance of beating Trant. Glenn I think that's why former VP John Bell, Senator Bill Snyder, and  Senator Jennifer Abner remain in the race."

"It's interesting that throughout this Senator Abner has been the standout. She talks a big game and she's certainly backed it up thus far. I think she does well in the primaries."

"Let's slow our roll a little bit here everyone, you have these two veteran candidates that have been at this far longer. One was vice president and the other ran in the past. Senator Abner is coming into this brand new inexperienced. I think it's crazy talk to think she fairs a chance."

"Whoa whoa, Senator Abner is still on the ticket because of what you just said. She's a new face. It wasn't even close when she ran for Senator because the California people saw her work as DA. Now she's showing what she's all about to the entire country and they have been more than receptive. She has a cult following if you will. Have you been on social media lately? She has groups dedicated to her."

"Teenage girls don't vote."

"They don't but their parents do, their grandparents do."

"Can I chime in and say that Senator Abner's appeal doesn't stop at Gen Z. Her campaign brought in $15 million in a week. I mean that's record breaking numbers there."

"Let's not forget her Hollywood buddies. She has a coalition behind her and I think she's just the person to stand head to head with Trant. They already have this weird four play going on over Twitter."

"Haha before our show get's cancelled let's go to commercial break. Listeners we will be right back with all the latest gossip on the real first family of America...The Kardashians."

Frank turns down the radio and looks in the mirror at me in the backseat. "You don't get tired of listening to this junk?"

"If people aren't talking about me Frank that means I'm doing something awfully wrong."

"Touché."

"God am I happy to be back home", I say looking out the window. "I can get a few days of rest before the storm of primaries comes along."

He chuckles, "Rest? You're having me take you straight to the office."

"Well yeah theres a few things I need to sort out. I've been gone for what fills like a month."

He smiles.

"Actually before we go to the office there are two stops we need to make first."

"Ok where to?"

**********

"You still remember?"

"Of course I do. Just because I don't call you on the day anymore doesn't mean I forgot. After awhile I thought it was too painful for you so I came up with another tradition. Every year on this date I come here to be closer to her", I say as Frank and I stand in front of Iris' gravesite.