Chapter 60: No Expectations

Rachel's POV

"Were you expecting someone?"

"No." I freeze. I'm not sure what to do in this moment. I have fucking Senator Abner sitting in my kitchen and someone who I'm most likely going to cuss out for intruding on my time with her knocking at my door. Not to mention that if someone sees her here I'm fucked.

I run my fingers through my hair slightly panicked, but I don't want her to know that I am."Maybe if I don't answer they'll go away."

"Rachel."

"Fine, can you wait in my room a bit until I get rid of them. I promise it will be quick." She gets up and looks frustrated at the current situation. I know inside she's panicking too.

I hear another knock at the door.

"I'm coming." I rush to the door opening it.

"Hey what are you doing here?"

"Sorry to come over unannounced", Avery says meekly.

"It's ok what's going on?"

"Can I come in?" I notice my arm blocking the door as Avery stands out in the rain.

"Of course", I move out of the way and follow Avery as she sits on my couch. I turn towards her and I notice Jenn's purse hanging up on the coat rack behind her. I'm praying that she doesn't see it.

Avery takes a deep breath, "We haven't really spoken since our breakup because I needed the time to process it. Thank you for giving me the space I needed." "Rach when you asked me the other day are we friends I didn't know what to say." She pauses, "But the truth is I miss you. I miss you a lot. For whatever reason we didn't work out, but I still want to be part of each other's lives. If that's not something you want I understand but-"

"You don't know how happy that makes me to hear that. I miss you too. I was hoping that this would come sooner rather than later because seeing you in the hallways of work and school was pretty rough knowing that you were mad at me."

"I wasn't mad I was just hurt, but I'm over it."

I get up and extend my hand, "Friends?" I smile.

"Best", she says pulling me in for a hug. We stay like that a little longer than normal until I pull away.

"I'll let you get back to your breakfast. It smells amazing in here."

"Thanks."

"Bye Rach."

"Bye Sunshine."

She smiles.

I rush back to my bedroom to see Jenn sitting on my bed looking at her phone. She looks up and doesn't say anything.

"The coast is clear. It was just Avery."

"I heard", she says walking past me to go back into the kitchen. She purses her lips, "That's good you two made up. Seeing as you work and have classes together."

"Yeah", I respond sensing that Jenn's attitude has changed since the knock on the door.

We stand there in silence for a few seconds before I break the ice. "Ok I know that was really awkward."

"For me it wasn't. But just so you know If you're going to have surprise visitors I'm not going to be able to keep coming over."

"It was a one time thing."