Chapter 15: Clash

Rachel's POV

My talk with Abner last week went as expected. She deflected and I continued to call her out on her bullshit. I know I'm being a total bitch to her, but she deserves it. If she would just take accountability for actions I probably would lay off of her. So as along as she wants to keep up this holier than thou persona I'll continue to be the worst, I mean best intern she's ever had.

"Good morning sunshine, this is for you."

"You're the best, thank you", says my girlfriend as I hand her the coffee I picked up for her this morning. Yes, Avery Weston is my girlfriend. Those words still feel a little weird to say, but for the past few months it's been inevitable right? I mean we've been doing everything a couple does without the title. I know I promised myself that I would focus on myself and not let anyone in after Natalie hurt me, but Avery is already in.She has always been. Yeah there's some things she still doesn't know about me, but I'll eventually open up to her when the time is right. For one I trust Avery, and for whatever reason she's ok with putting up with my craziness. I don't think she would ever hurt me.

Our attempt at morning pleasantries is cut short when Mia walks in the room looking more annoyed than usual. "Everyone sit down", she says as she rubs the temple of her head. "I thought I had a good group here. Pull it together and try not to disappoint Senator Abner more than some of you already have", she says looking in my direction. "Since you all have classes today, and are only here for four hours this will be you assignment. Stuffing these envelopes with these flyers so they can be sent out to constituents. The flyers are for a town hall meeting that the Senator will be hosting. She will hold an open forum where they can ask questions, voice their opinions, so and and so forth. Simple enough?"

We nod yes.

"Good, I'll leave you to it. If you have any questions I'll be in my office. Try not to burn down the place..fucking millennials", she says under her breath as she exits the room.

"Isn't she just lovely?", I say to break the silence in the room.

"I think she's kinda hot, when she's all pissed off like that" Jacob remarks, getting an eye roll from Nina, Avery, and myself in return.

"Rach, do you want to be my stuffing buddy?" Avery asks.

"I mean I kinda already am", I say making Avery turn red in embarrassment. I'd be lying if I said teasing her wasn't one of my favorite hobbies.

"Can I ask you both a question?", Nina remarks. "Are you two,you know.."

I furrow my eyebrow, "Are we what?"

"Gay"

"No I'm Patrick", I respond, making Avery and Jacob laugh."What gave it away Nina? Us making out and dancing all over each other the night we all went out?"

She rolls her eyes, "So are you two together?"

"There it is. The real question you've been dying to ask. Let me answer it for you", I say as I turn and press my lips to Avery. I'm not sure what sexual orientation Nina is, but I'm smart enough to know she's crushing on Avery.

"Stop I'm going to throw up. When did this happen?", Jacob asks in disgust.

"None of your business. Can we all get to work now?"

For several hours we work gingerly to fill the envelopes as we were instructed.

"Ugh, were out of flyers and we still need to stuff 200 more envelopes", Nina interjects.

"Someone go tell Mia", Jacob suggest.

"Not it", my three peers yell out at once.

I scoff, "Are you all five years old? Fine I'll do it."

"Good. She hates you anyway, and I'm scared of her", Nina adds.

I shake my head and make my way to Mia's office. Her door is shut so I lightly knock.

"What is it?", she spits out.

"We're out of flyers."

"Ugh, here take this flash drive. It's saved under March Town Hall. Print out what you need. I'm swamped, try not to disrupt me for the rest of the day ok?"

"Yes ma'am", I say rolling my eyes.

She closes her door and I make my way to the print room. I log on to a computer and open up the file. I look over the flyer, and rolls my eyes at the line spread across the page. "Senator Abner For The People". I hover over the print button, when all of a sudden I get an idea.

**********

Next day

"The Senator's office now!"

"Well Good morning to you too Mia", I say barley stepping out of the elevator.

"You've really fucked up this time. Don't keep her waiting", Mia says shaking her head at me.

Shit. I wasn't expecting her to find out what I did. Especially so soon.

I make my way to her office and knock on her slightly parted door. "You wanted to see me?"

"Take a seat", Abner says firmly. When I sit down she slides a flyer across the desk. "Care to explain?"

Yep I'm going to play dumb. Rule number one, never admit guilt. Well at least that's what I've learned from her. "Senator, I'm unclear of what you're asking me."

She rolls her eyes and pulls out another flyer from her desk. "This is the the flyer that was supposed to go out, and this is the flyer you altered changing the time of the meeting. Ring a bell?"

"Why would I do that? It must have been an error when I printed it", I say with a fake worried look on my face.

"Cut the shit. You purposely did this. I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I've had it with your antics. I'm writing you up."

"Ok", I timidly respond.

"Ok? Is that all you have to say for yourself? This is serious Rachel. If your attempt to sabotage me wasn't caught by the mail room many people would have been inconvenienced. Not only me."

"I get that now."

She opens her mouth in disbelief, "So you just don't care then? Please tell what you hoped to achieve with this little stunt of yours."

"Well if you must know" I say rolling my eyes. "I was hoping that some of your constituents would get the wrong time, show up, and then be pissed of when it was no meeting."

She put her hands together, "Rachel, I can fire you for this."

"Do what you must", I say shrugging nonchalantly.

"So is this how it's going to be if I keep you here? You're going to keep trying to undermine and sabotage me? You're so smart Rachel. So very very smart. I don't get what you're doing." She looks around her office, and then back at me. "You're being very juvenile. Mature Rachel needs to make a reappearance quickly. You're dismissed."

When I leave Abner's office I get a feeling that I rarely get. I feel remorse. Maybe I took it a little to far this time. I could see not only the anger, but the hurt in her eyes. She mentioned giving me the benefit of the doubt, maybe she wasn't expecting a betrayal from me.