Chapter 5: He Did Not Even Say Goodbye

At fifteen most girls on my village did not know what they were going to do for the rest of their lives

At fifteen most girls on my village did not know what they were going to do for the rest of their lives. Most were just starting to get some freedoms and did not have to worry about much. But I am not like most girls. Since I was old enough to understand mine and my mother's financial and living situation, I knew what my future was going to be. Today just gives me the reassurance that I was right. Starting today, I will be officially working for the castle as a maid. When Xavier was still here, he would always tell me that I could be anything. I never let myself fully believe him, but there was still this little bit of hope. However, since he left, I feel like I gave up hoping for anything.

~~~

It was four years ago when he left. He did not even say goodbye. I only realized he was gone when Madam Bloom showed up at our garden and not him. She had informed me that he had left to go live with his uncle for a while. Ever since then, things have been different.

Before he left, we had just started realizing we liked each other more than just friends. But I guess he did not really feel the same way. Maybe I made him feel like he had to pretend to like me and it just got too much for him so he left. Or maybe it was that new girl, Princess Katerina.

Princess Katerina is the daughter of one of the Kings friends. When she had first arrived I had tried being friends with her, but she made it very clear she did not want to hang out with a cooks daughter. However, when Xavier would choose to hang out with me, instead of her, she would get very angry. She even told on us to the King and Queen, saying that we would not play with her. After that, Xavier had to spend more time with her, and not me. He wasn't very happy at first, but after a while he stopped complaining about it. Maybe after spending time with another girl, he realized he picked the wrong one to be his princess. I mean, Katerina is a real princess, how could I ever compete with that.

A week after he left, I ran into Katerina in the castle's library. She told me that I was the reason Xavier left, as if I didn't already know that. She also told me that he and the Queen didn't know how to tell me, but I was making them uncomfortable by following them around everywhere. At first I didn't believe her. Why wouldn't they just tell me if they did not want me around anymore, but then Madam Bloom came in and agreed. She told me that it would be best to just avoid the royal family from now on. They both told me that Xavier wanted me to stick with my own people and that I was holding him back. From what, I don't know, but if it was what he wanted, I would stay away.

So that is what I have been doing for the past four years. I hide from the Queen whenever I saw her. When my mother asked me why, I just told her it was too hard seeing her with Xavier gone. There was a while when even Xander tried talking to me, but I knew what they were going to say, so I hide. I didn't need them telling me to stay away. I spent most my time at home. Mr. Larson and me would spend most our time studying and reading. I had learned so much and realized I had wanted to be a teacher, if only I did not have to be a maid.

~~~

"I just wish we had enough for your schooling." I could barely make out what my mother was saying over her sobs.

"You know I don't mind mother. And even if I did have enough for my schooling, we wouldn't be able to see each other everyday." I've been trying to convince my mom that I am not upset about having to stay for a month now. Of coarse it's sad that I will never be able to be a teacher, but I would never want to leave mother anyway. Raymond always says I act too much like a baby and need to be more independent. He always hates it when I do not go out with him when mother does not allow it, which is most of the time. While Raymond is now the only friend I have, he never understands how important my mother is to me. He actually does not understand a lot about me, but he has never left me, which is way more than I deserve.

"I know, your right. This is going to be a good thing. And perhaps after we pay off some bills, we can save up some extra money and be able to afford your schooling to be a teacher." I got my ability to look on the bright side from my mother. Just like how the bright side of Xavier leaving is he isn't held back from me anymore and is obviously enjoying his time with his uncle, or else he would have come back by now.  And if Xavier never left, then Raymond would never have become my friend. Even if Raymond can be negative, mean, and judgmental, I am very lucky for him to be my friend.

"Roselyn! Are you in here? We have to get you dressed in your new uniform and start with your training. Hopefully your training won't be too long, since you have spent the majority of your life here at the castle." Mrs. Linda the head maid rambled on. She has been working at the castle for five years now and has grown very close with my mother. I am very lucky that Mrs. Linda is the person in charge of me, and not some meany. I heard from Raymond that some of the main workers in the castle are very serious and act like they have a stick up there butt, but instead of the word butt he used one that I do not feel comfortable repeating. No matter how hard I beg, Raymond will not stop cursing in front of me, but I am lucky he choses to be my friend, so who am I to complain.

"Coming Mrs. Linda! Love you mother, hope you have a great day and I'll come find you once I get done." After a quick peck on her check, I race after Mrs. Linda, who is already at the end of the hallway yelling at me to catch up. I will have to get used to this rushing, it seems like it is going to be a big part of my future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
End of Chapter 5!!
Word Count: 1163
🌹