Chapter 12: Work Comes First

"Xavier! Come take your seat!" The King's annoying voice reaches my ears

"Xavier! Come take your seat!" The King's annoying voice reaches my ears. Oh how I love our dinners together. Not.

I take my place next to my mother. The King sits at the head of the table with Xander to his left and my mother to his right. Of course, the witch is placed right next to me as usual.

"Hello Xavier." Katerina purred. She was wear a red dress. It's the only color she ever wears, even though it does not flatter her complexion. I miss seeing my Rose in her beautiful dresses with flowers sewn into the front.

I just give a nod as response to everyone. I just need to get through this dinner and then I can get closer to finding my princess.

"So, how are the men?" The King can't go one minute without discussion work matters. I understand that our work is ruling a kingdom, but that is not my top priority. Family will always come first to me. My family being Rose. I love working with the men, but I would trade everything to be with my princess.

"Good." Was my response. I may be acting like his little puppet, but that does not mean it is easy to deal with him. Having these useless conversation everyday with the man I despise more than anything, can be mind numbingly painful.

"Oh Princess Katerina, how lovely you look tonight." Madam Bloom says, being her usual suck up self. Who even invited this hag to dinner?

"I know." Was the witches stuck up reply. She turns to me with a giant smirk, as if Madam Bloom's opinion of her would sway my own.

"Well this has just been great, but sadly I have some paperwork to get to." I say as I try and make a quick exit. Oh course, nothing ever comes easy to me.

"We haven't even had dessert yet!" Katerina tries to argue, but I know my father would excuse me. Work comes first, even before dessert. If only he knew my paperwork was really examining the art work of my princess that he drove out of my life.

"Now now Katerina, you are going to have to get used to Xavier leaving early for work. Once you are married, you will have to realize that his work will come first. Isn't that right honey?" The King's condescending look towards my mother makes me want to ripe him in half, but good things come to those who wait. And with how long I've waited to see him ruined, I expect very good things.

~~~

They are beautiful. My little Rose has become so talented. Sadly, they give me no hits as to where she is. The first one is a women, who looks to be in her early twenties. The second is a little boy, maybe four or five. How does she know these people? I believe their names are Liv and Oliver, from what the letter states. Besides their names, the letter gives me nothing else to work with.

It goes on about how much she misses her mother, Mr. Larson, and everyone. Does everyone include me?

As I release a sigh and sit back in my desk chair, there is a knock on my office door.

"Come in."

"Prince Xavier." William Easton a duke, whose father is friends with my father, enters the room. Even though William's father may be horrible and has bad taste in friends, William is a good man. We have never really been close, but I respect him. I can also relate to having a horrendous father and do not judge him for his father's actions.

"William, it's been awhile. Please just call me Xavier." He nods and takes a seat in front of my desk. "How have you been?"

I have not spoken to him for the last few years. Last I heard, he has fallen in love with a women his father did not approve of and was forced to leave her. It was quite the drama that his father put lots of money and time into hiding. Normally, I would not waste the energy trying to talk with someone, unless I had to. However, I can relate to his fathers interference with his love life.

"I've been fine. How about you? How is working for your father?" His eyes betrayed him and let me see just how far from fine he really is.

"I like working with the men. My father, not so much. But I do not have to worry about that for much longer." I knew I could trust him with my secret. "Once I find my girl, he is gone."

"So, it is fake. This whole anything-to-please-the-king act." We share a nod, as his eyes show understanding. "How are you going to find her?"

"It has been hard. My father may be an evil rat, but he is not completely stupid. We actual just got a new lead." I said as I hand him over my princess's sketches. "I am not sure who the people are, but it's one step closer to finding her."

"I do not believe it." Williams shocked and amazed voice makes my nerves stand on edge.

"What is it?"

It took him a minute to respond, almost as if he was in shock. When he finally answered, my heart fell to my feet.

"I know who the woman in the sketches is."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
End of Chapter 12!!!
Word Count: 911
🌹