Not right now

Brooklyn woke early the next morning. The other side of the bed was empty, just like it had been last night. After the beach, Pin dropped Brooklyn home and Ryder and Brooklyn hadn't spoken since. She climbed out of bed pulling out a pair of jodhpurs and a blue polo shirt. She pulled on her long black boots and hurried downstairs. While she rushed downstairs she threw her hair in a low pony tail. 
"Breakfast!" her mother called from the kitchen. Brooklyn stopped with her hand on the door handle. 
"I'm not hungry" Brooklyn called back opening the door. 
"Brooklyn I will not ask again!" Julia growled. Brooklyn shut the front door and hurried into the kitchen. Sitting at the table was Mia and Marcus. 
"Hi!" Brooklyn smiled wrapping Mia and Marcus into a hug. 
Mia and Brooklyn had grown a lot closer since they first met. Their professions made it hard to not run into each other. Each holiday the both spent together made them a lot closer and when the wedding was announced they were both thrilled. 
"I thought you weren't coming for another week?" Brooklyn asked taking a seat at the table. 
"We weren't but surprise!" she smiled. 
"How's Germany?" Brooklyn asked. 
"We got this new mare, she's amazing..." Mia started before Julia cut in. 
"Catch up later we have wedding details to sort out!" Julia demanded. 
"I'm going to head out and let you ladies deal with this" Marcus said slipping through the doorway before anybody could say anything. 

Julia pulled out a short cocktail style dress. The dress was an awful pale green with a large flower on the side. 
"What's that?" Mia asked horrified. 
"Bridesmaid dresses, of course" Julia smiled. 
"Are you joking?" Brooklyn asked. 
"What's wrong with it?" Julia asked. 
"You have seen it right?" Mia asked. 
"Please tell me green is not the theme colour!" Brooklyn exclaimed. 
"THAT green!" Mia added her face screwed up. 
"Why is it bad?" Julia asked. 
"Here's what we're going to do, Mia and I will do everything, you just relax" Brooklyn explained. 
"Brooklyn..." Julia started. Brooklyn took a bite from her waffle. 
"We've got it, it's going to be the best wedding ever" Mia promised. 
"Okay, I'm trusting you girls with everything" she said. 
"Coordinate with the rest of the bridal party" Julia noted. 
"Who else is in the bridal party?" Brooklyn asked. 
"Gabby, Pin, Marcus and Ryder" Julia listed them off. The two people Brooklyn wanted to avoid she had to spend the most time with. Of course. 

Brooklyn mounted Ash. The gelding was ready for a run. Mia mounted Firefly beside her, the two took off in a gallop. Over the hills, through the pastures and towards the beach. Mia was close behind but Firefly couldn't keep up with Ash. The waves were getting closer and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach were getting louder. 
"Wait up!" Mia called not far behind. 
"Catch up!" Brooklyn called back with a giggle. Brooklyn and Ash disappeared amongst the forest before hitting the beach. Mia pulled Firefly to a trot and took a deep breath in. She loved Germany, she loved being with Marcus but there was nothing like coming home. 
"Missed it?" Brooklyn asked. Mia looked beyond the trees to see Ash nibbling on grass and Brooklyn was looking to her future step sister. 
"There's nothing like home" Mia smiled. 
"No there really isn't" Brooklyn agreed. 
The girls slid off their horses and lead them the rest of the way to the beach. Taking in the scenery with every step hoping to never forget any of it. 

"So what have you been up to that isn't Ryder" Mia asked with a giggle. Brooklyn looked down at the ground when Mia mentioned his name. "Oh no, what happened?" she asked. "Did you know something happened between Ryder and Gabby?" Brooklyn asked her. "I heard rumors but I didn't listen to any of it" Mia shrugged. "It wasn't rumors" Brooklyn rolled her eyes still furious with the situation. "I'm not taking his side, but you weren't here" Mia shrugged. 
"I know, I have no right to be mad but I am!" Brooklyn sighed. The soft sand at the top of the beach made their boots sink, as the girls walked slowly to the hard freshly wet sand. "I think I'm mad because he hid it from me, I asked him straight out if something went on between them and he lied to my face!" Brooklyn growled. 
"If he doesn't have feelings for her and is over it, why would he lie?" Mia asked. 
"I don't know, I just want to stop thinking about it and focus on the wedding" Brooklyn stated. "Okay, so theme colour?" Mia asked changing the subject. 
"I was thinking a blue, and then we can have the wedding out on the beach" Brooklyn shrugged. "A beach wedding is so overused" Mia rolled her eyes. 
"What about Bright Fields?" Brooklyn asked. 
"That place is so run down" Mia gagged. 
"Then it's going to be a lot of hard work for the next few weeks" Brooklyn smiled. 
"And then all the bridal party comes in on horses!" Mia squealed at the thought, a bright smile spreading across her face. "It's perfect!" she exclaimed. "And matching saddle blankets!" Mia added. Brooklyn just giggled at Mia's excitement. 

Brooklyn and Mia rode back in silence. The excitement for the wedding vanished and they were starting to feel the pressure. With only three weeks until the wedding, there was a lot to do. Unfortunately for Brooklyn speaking to Ryder was the top of her list. 
The stables were buzzing, the girls were excited for their riding lesson and Ryder,  Gabby and Pin were happy to see Marcus again. 
"So when did you get here?" Ryder asked as Brooklyn and Mia dismounted from their horses leading them into stalls. 
"A few hours ago" Marcus shrugged. 
Everybody split into their own conversations while Brooklyn and Mia untacked their horses. 
"Hey" Ryder mumbled quietly to Brooklyn as she placed her tack in the tack room. 
"Hi" she said, not bothering to face him. 
"Can I explain?" he asked. 
"Not right now, no you cant" she shrugged. 
"Brooklyn" he shook his head, his frustration was getting higher and higher. 
"Later" was the last thing she said before joining everyone else out in the hall. 
Ryder stood back and watched her disappear out of his sight. He just nodded and sighed. He could feel her pulling away from him. This summer was meant to be about the two of them, about figuring out what they want. He needed to fix things fast.