"It's only Callum"

Brooklyn waved Mia and Marcus off as they drove out of the stables driveway. The range rover kicking up dust as it disappeared down the road. Brooklyn turned on her heel and looked around at the stables, everyone had gone home for the night and now it was just Brooklyn and Ryder. Brooklyn walked back into the stables stopping at Ash's stall and rubbing his nose. Brooklyn heard heavy steps closing in behind her and without turning around to face Ryder she spoke.
"Why did you lie?" she asked.
"It was a long time ago" he shrugged.
"Then why did you lie!" Brooklyn yelled. This time turning to face him. It was the first time Brooklyn had really looked at Ryder, his hair was matted and hung over his face, his eyes had dark circles under them as if he hadn't slept last night and his body had no energy to argue with her. He just shrugged and turned away.
"Don't turn your back on me!" she yelled.
"Why did you do it?" Brooklyn asked.
"Because you were engaged to my cousin, remember?" Ryder asked he was angry at the sound of that word. His fists clenched in tight balls and his whole body stood still.
"After you said you wanted nothing to do with me!" Brooklyn cried, the tears that once formed in her eyes were now splattered across her cheeks.
"You weren't coming back..." he started.
Brooklyn gave him one last glance before she began to walk away.
"Brooklyn!" Ryder called but she ignored him.
"I came back! I'm here!" She waved her hands in the air.
"I have a career Ryder! You were okay with that! And then you said you wanted nothing to do with me and you slept with Gabby!" She yelled.
"You were going to marry Callum!" He yelled back.
Callum was a long time ago. Brooklyn had almost forgotten about him but her heart still pinged with pain at the sound of his name.
"I'm done with the past Brooklyn I'm trying to move forward" he stated his arms crossed over his chest.
"If you keep lying to me then I can't move on from the past!" Brooklyn argued.
"Gabby and I were one time! You were going to marry my cousin!" He exclaimed.

As if he had felt his ears burning an SUV pulled into the driveway. The fighting couple walked out to meet the driver. Out stepped Callum dressed in a navy suit with a red tie.
"Heard there was a reunion going on" he chuckled.
"Hi Callum" Brooklyn smiled wrapping an arm around him.
"How have you been?" He asked his hand was tight on her waist as if he didn't want to let her go.
"Good" Brooklyn nodded.
"Cousin" Callum chuckled opening his arms out to Ryder.
"Hey" Ryder forced a smile and hugged Callum awkwardly.
"I've got work to do I'll catch up with you later" Ryder said.
"Did I say something?" Callum asked raising an eyebrow at Brooklyn.
"No" she shook her head sighing.
The two had a complicated relationship. After a year and a half of being separated Ryder and Brooklyn couldn't handle the long distance relationship and quickly ended their relationship. After months of struggling to move on Callum and Brooklyn got back in contact and things quickly moved forward. They had a great connection and the two of them felt so deeply for each other. But something wouldn't click. It was perfect in some aspects and awful in the other. Falling asleep next to someone you have such strong feelings for but aren't completely in love with was exhausting and began affecting Brooklyn's mental health. 
"How have you been?" Brooklyn asked. 
"Good, it's good to take a break for a while" Brooklyn nodded. 
"Come over for dinner tonight, we can catch up" Callum suggested. 
"I don't know Callum..." Brooklyn sighed. 
"Come on, we were going to get married and now we can't sit across a table from each other and have dinner?" Callum asked. 
"Okay fine" Brooklyn nodded cracking a smile at him. 
Callum opened the SUV door and hopped in. 
"7:00, don't be late" Callum ordered followed by a sly smile. 

Brooklyn turned on her heel and faced the stable. The entrance was so close, but she couldn't make herself walk through the door. She pulled her keys out of her pocket and opened her SUV door. The leather engulfed her as she sat in the drivers seat. 

Brooklyn pulled into the driveway of her home. Mia's Range Rover sat in the driveway. The door unlocked. 
"Mia!" Brooklyn called. 
"In the kitchen" A voice called back. 
Brooklyn placed her keys and purse on the counter as she looked around the room dumbfounded. There were large posters on stands, filled with different dress styles to different flowers. 
"Um?" Brooklyn started. 
"Our poster boards" Mia smiled looking back at the boards. 
"For?" Brooklyn asked. 
"The wedding of course" she explained. 
"This board is for the dresses, color, style, hairstyles, shoes etc" she explained. 
"This board is for the flowers for the wedding" she explained. 
"My mum loves orchid, maybe we could make a bouquet with orchids in it" Brooklyn shrugged grabbing  a bottle of water from the fridge and taking a sip. 
"And the color theme could be purple!" Mia added.
"Purples a bit overused isn't it?" Brooklyn asked.
"Purple is perfect, her favorite flower is the best idea for the bouquet and everyone knows everything has to match with the perfect bouquet" Mia smiled. 
"So the wedding party?" Brooklyn asked.  
"Well for the boys, Marcus, Ryder and Pin" Mia established. 
"The girls, myself, you and Gabby" she mumbled the last name. 
Brooklyn just sighed. There was no use arguing with Mia and they needed equal numbers. 
"Ok" she responded taking a sip of water and pulling a chair out from the table. 

The two girls spent the rest of the afternoon planning the wedding. Brooklyn was on the phone with wedding dress shops for most of the day trying to find the perfect bridesmaid dresses. While Mia was on the phone with construction workers and caterers. 
Brooklyn glanced at the time. 6:30 pm. 
"Shit" she gasped jumping from the table and dashing upstairs. Mia close behind. 
"What are you doing?" she asked. 
"I have to get ready for dinner" Brooklyn said. 
"With Callum" she added quietly. 
"You're going to dinner with your ex-fiance while you're not speaking to your boyfriend, great idea Brooklyn" Mia rolled her eyes while Brooklyn tore through her wardrobe. 
"Get in the shower, I'll find you something to wear" Mia told her. Brooklyn didn't have time to argue. 
Mia picked out a lace white off the shoulder dress that fell to the low knee. Brooklyn pulled on black strappy heels and her white clutch. 
"You look great" Mia smiled. 
"It's only Callum" Brooklyn shrugged.