07

« erina »

"Flow your chakra into the paper."

I held the thin sheet between two fingers, watching it flutter in the light breeze. Kouhaku and Takeo stood on either side of me, though Takeo was a considerable few feet further, both with the same material in their possession.

"Like this?" I questioned uncertainly, envisioning my chakra flowing into the paper. My assumption rang true as within an instant, the piece of compressed pulp withered together in a crinkled manner. I blinked in recognition. This was what happened with Kakashi and his chakra paper.

"Erina must have the Lightning chakra type signature to our village. Exquisite!"

I smiled, "That's cool!"

"Mine's on fire." I turned at Takeo's blunt announcement. He held the burning piece of paper up nonchalantly, watching it crumble to ash under the intense heat.

"As expected, your chakra is as hot-blooded as you." Sensei nodded, rubbing his chin.

"Mine..." Kouhaku started. I tilted my head to the side at his confused state.

"What's wrong?"

"It's on the ground."

All four of our eyes shot to the grass by Kouhaku's feet. A few pieces of rubble rested unnaturally on the light green tuffs, having not been there before. A laugh bubbled at Sensei's throat as he nodded understandingly.

"You have the Earth attribute, Kouhaku."

The blonde grinned.

"The three of you are advancing at an incredible pace, especially you, Erina." My cheeks lifted at the older man's words, "And now that we have established your individual chakra types. We can work on learning jutsus ideal to that element, or the development of your own."

Developing my own? That sounds interesting.

"But we shall train with elemental jutsus for now."

Three books flew through the air, one heading respectively in each of our directions. I caught the small booklet effortlessly, as did my two teammates. I studied the name printed on the cover in curiosity.

"Kumo's Complete Book of Lightning Ninjutsu." I read to myself, flipping idly from page to page.

"Pick three jutsus that perk your interests the most. Then start practicing." Sensei instructed, "Unfortunately, I possess the wind chakra type so I am unable to fully help you twerps with your training. But I am still capable of guiding you through it. Better get to work."

Well. Okay then.

I dropped to a cross-legged position, and immersed myself in the book.

After around half an hour of reading over each and every description attached to the jutsus, I finally decided on three with the most potential in improving my skills as a Cloud ninja. I slammed the book shut and nodded to myself.

"Decided already?" Kou asked, turning a page without glancing up.

"Yup! See ya! Bye Sensei, bye Takeo!"

"Bye!"

"Don't run too far! Train hard, Miss Erina!"

"Hmph."

A smile spread across my face as I jogged down the dirt path, distancing myself from the rest of my team. Being a ninja was seriously so exciting. And my team were nice people too—okay, maybe not Takeo, but at least he acknowledged my goodbye instead of completely ignoring me.