Chapter 10: Reality

It was a cool fall day in Williamsburg, Virginia. Alice, Rosalie, and Hazel were sitting in a bridal shop. The store was reservation only and they were the only ones, besides the sales assistants, in the shop.

“Do you know when you want to have it,” Rosalie asked looking over to her mother who was leafing through a catalog.

“December,” she replied simply. Alice held in a sigh as worry bubbled in her being. It had been a little over three days since Hazel found out and she has had yet to open up to anyone about it. Everyone was worried about her but she refused to say anything other than “I’m fine.” After a long moment’s pause you pointed to a dress that was sitting in a corner away from prying eyes, “Can I try on that one?”

“Of course Miss Green; if you’d just wait in our dressing room and I’ll bring it to you,” Rebecca said politely gesturing to the only dressing room in the establishment. Hazel nodded pulling herself up, with what seemed like energy she didn’t have.

“Do you think she’ll be okay,” Alice asked Rosalie softly.

“I hope so,” was the only reply she got. They sat in silence for about ten minutes before Rebecca announced Hazel’s return.

“Oh my god,” Rosalie gasped covering her mouth in shock. Hazel wore a floor length mermaid style white dress that modestly showed off her figure. Finally Hazel looked at herself in the floor length mirror. Her breath caught in her throat as she swayed, the reality of everything crashing down on her.

“Mom,” Rosalie asked concern oozing in her tone as she stepped beside her. Hazel let out a few shuttered breaths before breaking down into sobs; gripping Rosalie’s arm with both hands as she collapsed to the floor.

“Do you not like the dress,” Alice asked coming to her other side.

“I-it’s,” she hiccupped out through her tears, “I love it. I-I just…” She started crying harder. But Alice and Rosalie knew what she was trying to say; “I just wish Jesse and my mom were here.” Rosalie pulled her mother into her cold arms letting her weep into her shoulder while Alice rubbed her back.

An hour later Carlisle was carrying Hazel in his arms from the little store to his car. Thankfully it was still cloudy that late September day. They were staying in Hazel’s childhood home.

“She’s going to be okay,” Alice told Carlisle once they were back to their temporary home.

“I know,” he replied softly; brushing stray hairs from her forehead as she slept, “She’s strong but even the strong break. I’m surprised it hadn’t happened sooner.”

“Do you think they’ll find them,” Edward asked from the recliner.

“No, they won’t find them. At least, not alive,” Jasper answered a faraway look in his darkening topaz eyes.

“Even if that is so the Quileutes are looking for any sign of Vincent and Jesse,” Carlisle said with finality in his firm voice gazing at Hazel.