Chapter 11: Back to Normal... Or Something Like it

Hazel smiled brightly at Leah as she took a small sip of Venti Hot Chocolate. The waves crashed angrily against the cliff that sat thirty yards to their left. Even though it was freezing; Hazel insisted that they sit on the beach.

“So what was the other thing you needed to talk to me about,” Leah asked wrapping her arms around herself shivering.

“You know my wedding’s coming up soon and I wanted to know if it’d be okay if Harry walked me down the aisle,” she bit the inside of her cheek nervously.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be okay with it,” She replied confused, “You’re like my older sister.” Leah smiled looking at Hazel.

“You don’t know how much this means to me.” Hazel pulled her into a hug kissing her cheek.

“So how have you been,” Hazel asked after a few moments of silence between them.

“I’ve been… better,” Leah replied with a small smile, “Sam came by the house the other day. He wanted to talk to me but I told him to fuck off an-” Hazel let out a boisterous laugh that ended with a snort as she tried to stop herself. That’s my girl She thought to herself.

“And Seth was hanging around the beach last weekend and heard something interesting,” Leah continued.

“Oh yeah,” Hazel said looking at her companion, once she calmed down.

“Now I don’t know if this means anything but he overhead Jacob Black telling Isabella Swan about the cold ones.”

“The cold ones,” Hazel asked confused.

“It’s just some stupid legend that been passed down in the tribe about something similar to a vampire. But it’s a bunch of bullshit to me,” Leah said, “But Seth said it seemed to scare Isabella pretty bad.” The smile on Hazel’s face turned into a firm line at this new revelation. The light happy shine to her mint green eyes faded and turned a shade darker giving her a malevolent look.

~Later that day~

Hazel stepped out of her red Chevy Silverado; the gravel crunching beneath her red heeled boots. Pulling her sleeves closer to her hands as she delicately pressed the doorbell. Within seconds Emily was at the door.

“Hazel,” she asked confused.

“Hello Emily, may I come in?”

“Yes of course; please,” she nodded hesitantly stepping out of the way. Emily was used to the joyful pleasant smile on Hazel’s face. So she was genuinely startled by the cold smile, sinister look, and wicked aura around her. Hazel’s boots clicked softly as they came in contact with the linoleum.

“Sam,” Hazel greeted taking a seat at the kitchen table; in a position where she could see everyone, “Paul; Jared.”

“What are you doing here,” Sam asked surprise thick in his gruff voice.

“I’m here to talk to you… All of you.”

“About what,” Paul butted in rudely.

“Dude shut up,” Jared snapped punching his arm.

“what is it you need to talk to us about Hazel,” Sam inquired crossing his arms over his bare chest to appear calm and collected, but on the inside her was terrified.

“I’m just here with a friendly reminder, Sam.”

“Which is?”

“I haven’t had a family in a long time. It’s just been me and my brother for a long time. SO naturally I’m protective of my own. And I don’t take kindly to someone putting my family in danger. So I’m just here to say,” Hazel leaned forward looking each one of them in the eye;. Chilling them to the bone, “Don’t put me in a position where I have to retaliate. Because if you put me in that place you will not like the outcome.”

“Are you threatening us,” Paul growled out his shoulder shaking.

“No,” Hazel replied calmly not intimidated at all; which startled and confused Paul, “I’m promising you.” There were a few moments of silence as what the matriarch of the Cullen family’s words sunk in.

“Excuse me, Hazel, can I ask what brought this on,” Emily asked timidly. Hazel’s sharp gaze turned to her, “Last week while my family and I were out of town; you had a visitor at First Beach. Isabella Swan, am I right? And while her and her friends were here. Someone gave Miss Swan hints as to what the rest of my family is. Which, if told or overheard by the wrong person, could expose my family and put them in danger.” Without further explanation Hazel departed; leaving the individuals in the room to think about what she said.

“Can we just all agree that she can be utterly terrifying,” Jared broke the heavy silence.