Chapter 203: The New Year

He Sanlang's eyes shone with the light of the stars as he fixated on Chu Lian's flushed face and heavy breathing.

Chu Lian was turning redder and redder under the weight of his gaze.

All of a sudden, He Sanlang actually broke out into a smile and he let out a peal of relaxed laughter. That spontaneous, genuine smile shocked Chu Lian silly.

He Changdi was well-known for his outstanding appearance all over the capital.

Ever since Chu Lian had arrived in the Great Wu Dynasty, all she had seen of him was his aloof and haughty side. He always kept a cold aura cloaked around himself to repel everyone away from him. She had never seen such an unguarded, unrestrained smile from him before.

That rare display of emotions from him drew a profound change in her own heart; it was as if an ancient wall of ice had melted under the strength of the sun. It felt warm and comfortable.

Compared to his usual cool facade, Chu Lian felt that this agreeable, warm look suited He Sanlang more.

When she thought back to the original story's description of him, this was likely how He Changdi had been before he had gotten married!

A pang of sympathy surfaced in her heart when her thoughts led her to that reminder.

Although she didn't know why he was fighting so hard, she knew that he must have some sort of reason for his actions.

Now that Chu Lian had broken the strange mood that had been hanging over them, a little of He Sanlang's rationality had returned. He suppressed the desires in his heart, but kept Chu Lian close to him.

Due to the passion from before, his voice was still a little husky. "Yes, I'm horrible. It's my bad, I shouldn't have lied to you."

Chu Lian had already suffered several rounds of fright ever since waking up this morning. Her life was terribly exciting.

She stared at He Changdi, mouth agape. So this stubborn man actually had times when he would apologise?

She pulled out her hand and felt He Sanlang's forehead, murmuring under her breath as she did so. "That's weird, he doesn't have a fever..."

The warmth on He Sanlang's expression immediately faded away, exchanged for frustration.

With a mix of shame and anger, he shouted, "Chu Lian!"

Chu Lian laughed sheepishly. "Ehe. So you're actually normal sometimes, my dear husband?"

"When have I been abnormal?"

"You've always been abnormal." Unfortunately, Chu Lian didn't dare to speak her true thoughts. She wasn't so stupid as to provoke the bear who currently had her in his clutches.

When He Sanlang looked down and noticed that her eyes were sparkling with humour, he had the urge to rub his cheeks against hers.

The moment the urge came over him, he acted it out without any restraint.

Chu Lian suffered the stabbing, prickling sensation of stubble on her tender skin and quickly shook her head, trying to dodge his face.

She raged, "He Changdi, you haven't shaved!"

The air between the couple had turned harmonious all of a sudden.

By the time He Changdi had his fill of snuggling, the two of them were panting for breath.

He Sanlang cradled the back of Chu Lian's head with his palm, pressing her head against his broad chest. He took a deep breath to gather his determination before declaring, "Chu Lian, once I'm fully healed, let's get together. If... that's alright with you?"