Chapter 293: Phoenix Trap (Part 1)

There was a lantern lit a little ways down the alley from the imperial gardens.

Royal Princess Duanjia looked anxious. She repeatedly urged the eunuch leading the way to move faster.

The eunuch didn't dare to disobey her, so he walked faster.

Her maid, Jinxiu, followed with a frown and tried to persuade her, "Princess, it's better if we report this matter to Princess Wei. If you don't want to inform her of this, we could report to the Empress Dowager instead."

The inner palace was rife with treachery, similar to the politics going on in the imperial court. However, Empress Dowager doted on Royal Princess Duanjia very much, and Royal Princess Duanjia often visited to accompany her. Despite this, she hadn't grown up in the palace, so she had never been exposed to the underhanded tactics that went on around here.

Prince Wei and Princess Wei were as loving as the day they had married, and he had never taken any concubines. Her two brothers spoiled her as well, so she had never experienced the treachery and schemes that went on in most inner courts.

While Royal Princess Duanjia was not as innocent as Jinxiu assumed, it was true that she wasn't well-versed in circumventing plots or subterfuge.

Regarding Jinxiu's suggestion of informing her mother or the Empress Dowager about the matter, the princess had obviously thought of this as well, but she immediately ruled against it.

This was purely because the person that had gotten hurt, according to the informant, was none other than He Erlang...

If something happened to He Erlang, she didn't want her mother or the Empress Dowager to know. If there happened to be any inconvenient situations, then she would surely lose Erlang to some other woman conveniently nearby...

Royal Princess Duanjia had already heard that He Erlang was on duty as one of the royal guard today.

The informant who had come to notify her was someone she had planted in the inner palace, so his words were likely true.

Royal Princess Duanjia quickened her pace even more as she softly said, "There's no need; I can handle a small matter like this myself. Besides, I'm familiar with the area. Nothing bad will happen."

Royal Princess Duanjia could be overly stubborn sometimes. As the servant she trusted the most, Jinxiu understood this very well. Therefore, Jinxiu knew that there was no point in trying to stop her anymore. All she could do was sigh and stay close to her mistress. She prayed that the servant had been truthful about the report, and that they weren't being led by the nose into a trap.

About fifteen minutes later, the servant who held the lantern led Duanjia to a remote palace hall that was some distance away from the imperial gardens.

The hall's entrance seemed desolated. There wasn't even a single eunuch or maid guarding the door. It was unknown whether they had been transferred elsewhere or were skiving because of the Thousand Blessings Festival.

The informant pointed at the hall's entrance, lowered his head, and timidly said, "Royal Princess, Sir He is inside..."

Royal Princess Duanjia looked at the doors with suspicion. Her gaze shifted to the servant before her.

The servant trembled, lowering his head even more. "This... this servant wouldn't dare lie to you, Royal Princess."

In the end, Royal Princess Duanjia's worry had taken over her rationality, so she turned and walked towards the entrance.

She raised her hands and pushed. The doors opened with a long creak.

There was a single oil lamp illuminating the hall, its warm light swaying gently. From where Royal Princess Duanjia stood, she could see that deeper within was a room with a bed inside, its curtains drawn to reveal a man lying on top.