Day 1: Live with me

"Nothing makes us so lonely as our secrets" - Paul Tournier

As soon as the alarm went off, I wanted to chuck it out the window and listen in satisfaction as the clock shattered into a million pieces on the pavement below. 

I was never a morning person, and the fact that today was the last day I would spend in my bed for a whole week weighed me down even more. With a groan, I threw the covers over me and tried to sleep, despite the sunlight that managed to slip past my blinds and onto the blankets.

"Na-ru-to," a voice called followed by loud knocks. The noise was so irritating that I wanted to grab my blanket and smoother whoever was outside. The knocking ceased, but was followed by a slam and loud footsteps. 

How the hell did he manage to get the keys? I groaned and sat up, and eyed the tall, frowning jounin. 

"I can't believe someone's later than me," he joked, yanked the covers off and forced me to get up and drag my feet to the bathroom. 

"Don't you dare do anything stupid while you're at my house," the words swam around my head as I went through my morning routine. So the Uchiha thinks that he is all high and mighty, huh? 

That sentence played over and over in my head on the way to the Uchiha district. I noticed that the roads were becoming more narrow, and only one path lead to the main gates; it was like the Uchiha had a small area dedicated to them, but also saying that you only belonged in that area, and not the village. 

Just like me. 

I suddenly realised how lonely it must have been for Sasuke all these years living by himself in a small ghost town with no one around. 

Maybe I should be nicer to him after all, he's just sad and bitter I thought. Kakashi sensei seemed to have read my mind. 

"Yes, Naruto, his whole clan was massacred by his older brother,"  he said, looking at the faded red and white Uchiha crest on the walls leading to the main gate. Leaning on the door frame was Sasuke's silhouette, the hunched back and casual but alert pose. 

"You finish admiring my area yet, usuratonkachi?" his deep and slow voice called. I clenched my fist, but decided to let it go. It can't be easy living in a ghost town all by yourself with memories of your murdered clan refreshed in your memory everyday. I brushed past him and stepped into the Uchiha district.

The walk to Sasuke's house was quiet, and surprisingly I enjoyed the silence. I pictured what it was like for Sasuke, being the exact opposite of me. I was the one they all kept away from, and Sasuke was the star, centre of attention. Yet we were both alone. 

I know what's it's like, Sasuke I thought as said Uchiha overtook me and led us to his house. Ironically, the usually bright red of the Uchiha fan on the back of Sasuke's navy shirt seemed to dull in this particular place. 

"Here's my house," Sasuke stopped in front of a fairly big traditional style house. 

"Well, I guess this is as far as I go," Kakashi sensei handed me my luggage and walked away, his  footsteps fading into the distance. Sasuke looked at me, unsure of what to do. 

"Show me the guest room," I tried for a small smile. Sasuke raised an eyebrow but didn't comment. 

"Hey usuratonkachi, I want to tell you just one more thing," he said as we walked down the hallway past the living room, "please don't go into the room next to your's." 

"Why?" I asked.

"Because," he said, turning back to look at me with sadness and vengeance in his eyes, "that's where my brother slept."