Chapter 7: The Funeral

Even though it was only a matter of time that this was going to happen, it oddly enough didn't really make anyone feel better. On one hand, it would be nice to finally have a final goodbye for their friend, but on the other hand, they didn't want to say goodbye at all.

The funeral was closed casket. It would take place in the afternoon, and would be a private ceremony. The rest of the kingdom could mourn her later, they decided. Today was just for them.

They wanted to have it as soon as possible, meaning not even a full day had passed since Glimmer and Catra's rescue, so of course there was a lot on everyone's minds.

Bow had only just finished getting ready. He stood in front of the mirror, though his reflection seemed strange and distorted to him. Too clean. Too somber. His hair was neatly trimmed, his body adorned with a plain black suit and tie.

He looked nice. Adora would've made fun of him for not showing his stomach.

Bow walked out of his room, his footsteps echoing through the silent corridor. His hands stayed in his pockets and he tried to avoid thinking too much about the day's activities.

As he was walking, Bow noticed Glimmer's door open a crack, causing him to pause. He could hear faint sniffling from the room. Checking his watch, he noted that the funeral was supposed to start in less than fifteen minutes. Concerned, he went to Glimmer's door and looked inside.

Glimmer was sitting against the wall, curled into a ball and completely unaware of Bow's presence. She looked disheveled, like she hadn't slept at all, and she was still wearing the same clothes she had been in when she was rescued.

"Glimmer?" Bow asked, feeling guilty to have intruded. "Are you alright?"

She didn't answer, just buried her face deeper in her arms.

Bow sat down next to her, speaking softly. "The funeral's going to start soon. Do you want to-"

"I'm not going," Glimmer said, her words muffled in her arms.

Bow frowned. "Glimmer, you have to."

Glimmer looked up at him. "H-How can I?" Standing up, Glimmer walked to her window, tears still falling silently. Bow followed. He didn't ask for more, knowing Glimmer would talk to him in her own time.

Sure enough, Glimmer was able to subdue her tears long enough to look at him. "I don't deserve to be there."

Bow put a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly. "That's not true."

"Of course it is! This is all my fault. Adora's dead because of me a-and she died thinking I hate her," Glimmer cried harder. "I'll never be able to make things right."

Bow pulled Glimmer into a hug, letting her cry it out. Rubbing her back, he whispered some reassuring words to her, waiting for her to calm down. When she finally pulled away, Bow kept both hands on her shoulders and looked her in the eyes.

"What happened isn't your fault, ok?" Bow said firmly. "You were being manipulated. Light Hope was always going to find a way to activate the Heart. That's not on you." He smiled sadly. "And she didn't hate you. She didn't think you hated her. You have to know that."