Chapter 2

The man in black led me inside the building. Natasha followed in behind me and I could tell she was furious for being beat. I smiled to myself. I was led through some hallways and into that tiny room behind those closing doors again while everybody was gawking at me.

“What the hell is this?” I asked, looking around the tiny metal room and I felt it go up. On one side there was a panel of numbers and the man in black pushed number 41. Over the top of the doors the numbers went up, beeping which each new number. 13, 14, 15.

The man gave me a sincere look. “This is an elevator. You come into this room, press the button for what floor you want, and it take you up or down.”

What the bloody hell? An elevator? Oh yeah, and now phones are mobile. It seemed impossible and I’ve worked a bit with Howard Stark himself.

A ringing started to go off and I looked around for the noise. It seemed to be coming from the man’s pocket. He reached his hand in and pulled out small device, much like I saw earlier. Then he started talking into it. Oh my god, a mobile phone. What happened when I was…well what was I doing?

“Yes, we have her. Go to the conference room on floor 41. Bring Hill and Barton. Goodbye.” Said the man and he put the phone away.

“Was that…an actual phone?” I asked him, my voice a whisper. I was a little freaked out. And I was never scared of anything.

“Yes, that was a cell phone. Over time, land lines for the telephone were improved and now people can take the phone with them wherever they go.” He explained to me. I felt like a dumb, clueless child and he was an adult explaining simple things to me. Well, he was an adult and I was only 19 but that was in 1953. They said it was 2010 now. 57 years. So I was 76?! Then again, I was deprived from my childhood and had to become mature earlier than others. It was the only way to survive. It happened when…BING!

We had reached floor 41 and the doors opened. I followed the man through some more hallways and Natasha was still in the back, making sure I didn’t try to run away. Hell no I wasn’t. If my General said I could trust these people then damn right I was. Unless they tried anything. I’ve been betrayed by people I’ve trusted before. Where are they now? Dead. You don’t mess with me.

We finally reached a set of doors and entered a giant room with a huge table to go with it. There were about 5 other people sitting down there, one of them I recognized. It was Coulson. All talking immediately stopped once they say me enter the room. They stared.

One female agent went up to the man with the eye patch and whispered in his ear. I caught his name: Fury. Ironic… and apparently he was the man in charge. Natasha went to go sit by a man in a black vest, his muscular arms showing, a quiver on his back and a bow in his hands. So he’s the one who attempted to kill me with the arrow. Fury and the other female agent went up to the front of the table, in front of a screen. The female was obviously second in charge, Fury’s assistant.

I stood where I was, my hands behind my back, my feet a little bit apart, my head up and eyes looking around. This was my stance whenever I was in a room full of strangers but important strangers. It was a solider stance.

I was at the opposite end of the table from Fury and he looked straight at me. “Miss Demetra, please sit down.”

I obeyed and sat down in the chair next to Coulson, who had an empty seat next to him on the right side.

“Who are you people, where did you find me, and give me a reason to trust you before I leave again. Go.” I demanded and the agents sitting around the table looked a bit surprised.