0.8 Beginning

"Charlie? Are you okay?" Renee asked as she sat beside him

"Renee... My sister just called... They picked a baby name." Seventeen year old Charlie muttered staring in Disney at the corded phone in his hand.

"Yeah? What is it?" His lovely girlfriend of three years asked happily.

"Charlotte. They named her Charlotte... For me." Charlie stuttered and looked up with teary eyes.

"Oh Charlie! That's wonderful!"

"That's not all... They want me to be her God father..." Charlie put his head in his hands and stared down at the ground.

"That's great! Did you say yes?" Renee cheered and clapped her hands happily.

"I... I told them I would think about it."
Charlie muttered still in disbelief.

"You're scared aren't you?" Renee asked and kneeled down in front of him.

"What if I am not a good Uncle? She is named after me. And they want me to be her God father. What if I mess up? What if I let her down?" Charlie was in tears.

"Charlie... This. This fear you have. This proves you're worthy of this. It'll be okay." Renee smiled and kissed his cheek.

"Oh God! Is it supposed to look like that?!" Charlie shrieked standing in the hospital room as his sister gave birth.

"Don't look, damn it!" His mother scolded and shoved the teenage boy away to take his place at his sister's feet.

"Oh God, I am gonna be sick." Charlie whispered and ran to vomit in the trashcan by the door.

"Charlie? Do you want to hold her?" His sister smiled and lifted the pink bundle to him.

"Not really... But you're gonna make me." He wrinkled his nose to fake disgust trying to hide the fact he was desperate to hold his new niece.

"Just take her."

Charlie held Charlotte in his arms for the first time and felt his heart swell with love. The newborn was pink and had small strands of dark hair. He felt tears slide down his cheeks.

"Hi there, Lil Lotti. I'm your uncle Charlie."

Ten month old Charlotte stood on shaky legs as Charlie had his back turned to mix a baby bottle. He had been put on baby sitting duty while his sister and brother in law enjoyed a date night. It wasn't until he heard Charlotte babble something that he turned around and dropped the bottle in shock.

"Oh shit!" He stuttered and dropped to his knees, "Look at you! You're trying to walk! You got it, Lotti." He cheered.

As Charlotte took a small step and then another Charlie cheered for her and cried out happily, " Go baby girl go!"