Season of farewell

Our morning routine has changed. He wasn't waiting for me at the table anymore, instead, I was waiting for him to wake up, holding him close in that tiny little single bed that meant the world to us. More often than not, we skipped breakfast just to cuddle a little longer. I've become the victim of random hug and kiss attacks without regard to the time or place. I initiated counter attacks as well but they usually backfired on me. I never complained though. I was so ridiculously head over heels for Nobunaga, I even felt ashamed of myself sometimes.

'You should skip shaving today. I like this stubble on you.' I watched him as he prepared for shaving.

'You do?' He rubbed his chin with his hand, considering my proposal. Finally, he put down the razor. 'So be it.'

'Have you thought about what you want to do on your last day in the future?'

'No.' He sat down on the edge of the tub and pulled me on his lap.

'Really? You've got nothing on your mind?' I ran my hands down his bare chest. 'Because I've got ideas.'

'Care to explain?' He brushed a stray hair from my face and smiled softly.

'Nope. I want to surprise you.' I put my arms around his neck.

'You do know that I know exactly what is going on in that head of yours, right?' He freed me from my pajama, which was actually his t-shirt, and began to fondle my boobs. 'Denial is pointless.'

'I'm not telling you.' I giggled and pressed a sweet little kiss on his lips.

'Very well.' He rubbed his prickly chin on my sensitive skin. 'I won't tolerate this uprising.'

'Speaking of uprisings...' I grinned and pulled the string on his pants.

...

Later that afternoon we took a walk in the beautiful Kyoto botanical garden. When he noticed that other couples were holding hands, Nobunaga took my hand too. It made me so happy, I felt like I was walking on air. I kept grinning like the Cheshire cat.

'Autumn is here. The leaves are changing color. Look!' I pointed at two maple leaves, a scarlet red one and a golden yellow one, dancing around each other in graceful pirouettes.

He stopped on the bridge and followed the path of those leaves with his gaze until they landed on the surface of the pond. His mood suddenly changed.

'What's the matter? You don't like autumn?'

'To me, these vivid colors are just the last spectacles of the dying nature. They carry a certain melancholic beauty, though. Autumn reminds me to the forever fleeting nature of life. Nothing lasts forever. Sooner or later everything comes to an end. We can only decide on whether we let it silently slip from our hands or fight against the inevitable until it is torn away from us. Autumn is the season of departure... Ironic, isn't it?' He chuckled bitterly.

He used to be so straight-faced but now countless emotions were whirling in his eyes. I definitely got better at noticing his emotions. Or perhaps he allowed them to show now.

I curled my fingers around his hand. 'You said it yourself, all we have is the present. Right now, we are together and this is all that matters.'

He faked a smile and turned away from me. He leaned on the railing and stared at the water. A gush of wind cast ripples on the surface, distorting his reflection. It gripped my heart to see him so distant, so troubled. I could always rely on him, now it was my turn to be there for him. I have to cheer him up. But how? I looked around and spotted the perfect thing.