Wedding planning

I was in a huge ball gown, curled up in a corner, hugging my knees to my chest when Nobunaga came home.

'What in the world...?'

He had to push through vast layers of fabric to find me underneath all that tulle. 'Where are you?'

'There you are!' He curled his fingers around my wrist. 'You are shaking...'

I was drenched in cold sweat and my heart was squeezing. I felt sick.

'I-I think I'm having a panic attack.' My breaths came in heaving gasps. 'Get me out of this dress!'

The dress was suffocating me and he was fumbling with the corset.

'Take it off! Take it off!' I yelled in sheer terror.

After what seemed like an eternity, he finally managed to free me but I already felt my consciousness slipping, my vision blurred and my legs refused to support me. I was falling into the emptiness.

'Saori!' Nobunaga's voice seemed to echo from far away. 'Open your eyes!'

He was patting my face.

'Nobu...' I was gasping for air.

'Breathe!' He stroked my back slowly.

When I started to perceive my surroundings again, I realised, I was wrapped up in a blanket and Nobunaga was holding me. However, my body wouldn't stop trembling. His calming touch helped me to gradually gain control over my breathing.

'You scared me to death.' He hummed.

'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry...' I looked up at him, crying again.

'What happened to you, my little dove?' He brushed away my tears.

'I-I was supposed to have lunch with the girls today but they dragged me to a bridal salon instead.'

'They secretly invited my mother too... I was not ready for trying on dresses but they were so excited, I just couldn't let them down. They made me try on all kinds of wedding dresses and I got overwhelmed. The moment I walked out in that fluffy puffy nightmare, they fell in love with it. The girls were screaming and my mum started crying. I looked at myself in the mirror and I freaked out.' I sighed. 'And then I just ran off...'

'I see.' He combed his fingers through my dishevelled hair.

'Darling, this is getting too much. Everybody keeps bombarding me with their ideas and demands. My parents want a traditional ceremony but the girls want modern bridesmaid dresses. We wanted a small wedding and the guest list is over a hundred now...' I was at my breaking point. I looked at him in despair. 'Can we just cancel this damned wedding? Can we just run away and get married somewhere far away? Just the two of us.'

'No. You are falling back into your old habit of agreeing to everything just to avoid confrontation. I won't allow you to run away from your problems.' His stern gaze was piercing through me. 'I've read that in this era, the wedding is all about the bride. You don't have to please anybody. Get this foolish idea out of your mind for once and for all and stand up for yourself!'

'This is not true. Our wedding is about you as well. I want to know what YOU want too.' I hugged him and buried my face in the crook of his neck.

'I want whatever makes you happy.' He purred and his deep voice gave me goose bumps. 'The path you choose is the right one. Do not doubt yourself! Never falter!'

'I will take responsibility and take back the control over this damned wedding. Starting tomorrow!' I lifted my chin and puffed out my chest. 'Right after I returned that pile of tulle to the salon and begged for their forgiveness.'