Chapter 1: Wounded Wings

~Don't forget to vote and comment! It would mean the world to me💫~
CHAPTER 1.
I hated Nevada, maybe hate was a little too strong of a word after all it was more of the move I hated. So I settled on disliking everything about this move, as did Valarie. Chicago was our home, Valarie's home and now we're in Nevada, Virginia city. A ghost town, literally they even have brochures.

I was trying, really. But how do you even adjust to a whole new life? We left everything, our friends, Valaries family, like it all never really mattered at all, and maybe it doesnt not for me, but for Valarie it does.

I closed myself off into my new room. On the bright side my room was huge. It would be more then enough room for Valarie and I which was a plus. My Aunt Roxanne thinks this move will bring new beginnings, she thinks the family need a "spiritual" cleanse, a chance to breath. Of course she didn't listen to me, she never did, when she was set on something there was no changing her mind, a lot like my mother.

So here Valarie and I are sitting on the floor sulking only slightly, "Dont beat yourself up about this I'll be fine really," Valarie tried to smile but I knew her far more better then that. "I've been thinking and this really will be a new start for you, you can make friends, go out to parties and just be normal again."

The most important thing you should probably know is that, Valarie is dead.

My childhood friend is dead to everyone but me. Valarie is somehow tied to me everywhere I go, she's pulled to me, she can never go too far. And most importantly she could never go back to Chicago, her home, my home. She'll never see her mother or father, she won't be able to watch her sister Haley grow. She at least had them to watch over, now she just has me and this strange new town. "The last thing I want to do is make friends, I have you."

"I'm dead," Valarie sighed as if it wasn't  obvious. "Roxanne is really worried about you, that's why she moved everyone out here. I mean I would get worried too if my niece was always hiding out in her room talking to the walls." Valaries pale fingers traced the large window that had a built in bench, another plus, so I could perch up on the window and write my songs. "You know I've always wanted a window like this, cozy up with some blankets and drift to sleep staring at the stars."

I wasn't the best at trying to pretend Valarie wasn't dead, it's hard to when she's sitting right here. "Promise me you'll try for me? I died we need to face it, you need to keep moving on Blair. I'll still be there every step of the way but the last thing we need in a small town like this is being called the crazies," Valarie joked, although she had a solid point.

I felt my lips tug into a smile I wish I could suppress, "People are boring, I like you more I don't care what anyone thinks," I shrugged. I got up so I could turn up my radio so Roxanne wouldn't hear us. I started unpacking my old children books onto the built in bookshelf in the wall, wondering why I was hording these old books in the first place. "But fine I guess you have a point."

Valarie has been dead for a year now, it's weird trying to grieve when you don't need to. I don't know how I can see her but a weird part of me wouldn't have it any other way. We have our theories, after all I did die as well, a whole other mystery on its own. I dont like to think about it, although I find myself obssesing over it. My mind searched for answers day and night there was no real escape. I cheated death and I was scared for it to claim me, ridiculous I know.

But that night I was truly gone, dead in a void that lead to nowhere. It was the most terrifying seconds of my life, the most loneliest. When I came back, when the darkness faded and I could hear my own screams, I realized my best friend was dead beside me. But then she also stood above me... a sickly version of her but it was still her.