Chapter 11: A Different You

School went by in a daze, I didnt see Bryce or Amber here today and Sharon was all over the place today campaigning so I decided to stay clear. As I waited for the buses, Erin the guy Sharon told me was eying me the other day walked straight to me, his freckled face in a nervous smile. He was cute, shy and even likable but I wasn't interested in the slightest and I was praying he wasn't about to ask me out. "Hey."

   "Hi."

   "I'm Erin," he said adjusting his backpack. "I was wondering if you'd want to go out some time, the movies or something."

   "Thats sweet," I said licking my lips, how do I say this without sounding like a total bitch? "I don't actually like guys right now," nope that wasn't it. "I mean I cant be with a guy." Why did that sound worse.

   "Oh," he frowned, then his brows shot up in surprise, "I get it! Uh, I'm sorry for even asking..." he murmured already backing away from me, he turned around and practically ran before I could explain myself.

  "Wow that was painful, I have no doubt by tomorrow you will be considered a lesbian,"Sharon sighed coming from behind me. "We need to work on you social skills, anyways what do you have planned for the day?"

   Sharons braided hair was in a neat bun, her smile always welcoming and trained. Late September here was almost like spring, a light breeze but with the sun it was manageable. "Nothing, What's up?"

   "Bryce and Ambers parents are out of town on a job so I'm going over there, wanna come?"

   "What do their parents do?" I asked curiously.

   She shrugged, "Beats me."

   "Sure, will you be able to take me home?" I asked.

  "Of course lets go," she grabbed my hand without any further answers and we walked to her SUV. "Bryce and amber miss school all the time, I've made it my responsibility to make sure they stay caught up. You know before last summer we spent almost every day together, I guess senior year changes things huh?"

   "People get busy."

   "They don't even have jobs," she snorted. "They're just too busy for me." The more we talked the more I realized that Sharon was just insecure, I could tell she had so much move for her friends, maybe a little too much.

   I knew I could just walk home it was only a five minute walk, but I was still spooked. Knowing I couldn't see a ghost unless they allowed it made me a little weary of my surroundings. I could sing for a death that  hasn't even happened, seconds before it does. If I was to sing for someone who wasn't my last love, then I wouldn't lose anyone, but then Cullen and every ghost here would never get their shot at peace. I tried not to drift to these thoughts, my fears, but not knowing was the worst and most dangerous feeling.

   From what Cullen has said the Grim sounds like a reasonable man, and if he wasn't, if I had to protect Heavenly and Roxanne then so be it. No peace is worth their death, they cant be a pawn. Hopefully Cullen is as crafty as he says.

   Amber and Bryces house was well, far more beautiful and detailed then our little farm house. They practically owned a mansion, tall metal gates, a beautiful seamless driveway, and the house it was everything a the little girl and me dreamed of. A beautiful bricked home, white trimmed windows, balcony's, two large oak doors with gold handles. The gardens and grass was exquisite, everything was so well maintained I couldn't wait to see the inside.

   "Beautiful isn't it? One of the most beautiful home in Virginia city, its more modern then the ranches and Victorian buildings in town." I just nodded as she just walked in, not even bothering to  knock. "They're probably in the yard fooling around."