Chapter 21: Consequences

I had to sneak out of my bedroom to meet Grim by the barn outside of our ranch styled home. As I walked out to the empty field full of weeds I felt a strange sensation that I was being watched. For a second I sworn I felt a cold breath on my shoulder... I whipped my head around my heart drumming in my ears, my breath blowing frost into the air around me

   I saw nothing or no one just the dimmed porch lights to the back of our house lighting up some of the back yard. I turned back slowly, my feet picking up pace, I had a bad feeling... looking back once more this time I saw a small shadow dart to the edge of the woods.

   My breath caught in my throat as I blindly rammed into something. Next thing I know I'm tumbling to the ground, strong arms reaching out for me.

   Grim grabbed me by the waist and hosted me up, my face almost two inches from meeting the ground. For a second I clung to him my eyes frantically searching around us.

   "What is it?" Grim asked as he pushed me behind him, searching around us.

   "I saw something, a shadow," I swallowed bitterly.

   Grim then looked down at me, his lips tightly pressed together. "I thought you were running for your life."

   I pushed away from him and folded my arms over my chest, "Before Valarie left she said she felt something horrible around this house. Ever since I've been getting this feeling like I'm being watched."

   "If there was any threat to you or your family here I would know. You have nothing to be afraid for, at least not here," he tilted his head inquisitively, waiting for me to respond.

   I decided there wasn't no use trying to convince him he was wrong, "How was the girl?"

   "I dropped her at the hospital before she woke back up, her family came within the hour to take her home,"

   "Thats good," I said trying to read his face in the dark. "So whats next?"

   "You go back to school," he shifted uncomfortably. "There is some business I need to take care of out of town for a couple days so you and Bryce will be ridding solo. I know as long as we are here I cant have you rising suspicion to your family, so going to school is something you'll still have to do for now." Duh. "In the mines there's been a few missing teens reported not to mention the rotten scent coming from the tunnels. By the time I come back I want to see that demon captured. You will help Bryce capture it just as you did earlier with me."

   "Can he even contain a demon?" I shuttered I wasn't very sure on the extent of a reapers abilities.

    "With you, anyone can."

   "No pressure or anything," I grimaced in sarcasm.

   "I have faith in you," his lip tugged slightly, was that almost a smile? Perhaps sarcasm?

   "I'll see you in a couple days," I said tiredly.

   Before I turned around he said, "Be safe."

   I paused for a second daring to hold his gaze, "You too."

...................................................................................................................

   I was at the end of my wits, it seemed as of late every day sucked more and more out of me. Of course I would be falling for two guys, of course I'd be hunting demons and running from ghosts. I didn't know what to really make of any of this, taking it day by day only gets more confusing.

   I managed to get to first period without being spotted by anyone. I slouched deep into my seat and buried my head into my knees, I wish I could disappear.