Chapter 22: Blood and Bone

Unfortunately Bryce wasnt lying, the hike was long. The trail we had taken withered out to nothing about twenty minutes into the hike. I was rather impressed with how well I trudged over branches and thorn bushes and still managed to keep up to Bryce in heeled boots. I didn't know what to expect, we were chasing a demon. Never in my life would I have thought I'd be practically running to my death. Positive attitude, I tried to remind myself. I badly wanted to fill the time with talking but Bryce was in no mood to even hear my voice. In fact if he could do this with anyone else in the world I bet he would. The worst part was how bad he made me feel, was I really that terrible of a person?

   It was for the best regardless, if I were to stay here a few more months chasing demons and ghosts I'd rather not be on Sharons bad side.  I was done sulking. It is what it is, I flirted with death and got burned, and in the action I burned someone I didnt mean to. The girl I met from the other night still invaded my mind space, I need to see her again. I need to know what she meant by I was trusting the wrong people, to follow my heart. My heart will take me everywhere it shouldn't, that was the irony. 

   Finally we got to a dark tunnel with police tap overlapping the entrance. Vines and grass have grown within the stone walls, "Doesn't look very welcoming."

   "Its an abandoned mine what were you expecting? You want the demon to come out and greet you with some iced tea?"

   "I dont like Iced tea."

Bryce didn't respond, he ripped off the tape and just walked in, I guess this is where I follow. "These mines are a maze, the demon could be anywhere."

   "Thats nice," I bit my lip anxiously flashing the light on my phone onto the muddy ground hoping there were no rats, praying actually. "So what your saying is we might not even find it tonight."

   "Oh I'm sure it'll find us," he said. 

   "How are you so sure?"

   "Once it senses you he will come looking, possessing your body gives it a link to death. Ghosts are hidden to demons at least the choice is theres. Not to mention your the only thing that can tame it."

   "A demon cant hurt a ghost..."

   Bryce only shook his head as we continued walking straight down the tiny only tunnel, "You'd be surprised what these things are capable of, especially if its been around for a long time."

   "So they evolve?"

   "In a sense."

   "Hmm."

   The tunnel finally ended, spreading out into four sections, "Do you feel anything?"

   "What do you mean?"

   Bryce gave me a ridiculous look, "The demon, do you feel it?"

   I raised a brow in question, "Do you?"

   "Never mind," his jaw clenched tightly as he walked through the first dark path on the left of him, I followed. I haven't really seen this side of him, so closed off and rigid but then again I've never seen him so upset.

   The mines were stuffy and smelled of damp water and stone. I wondered why anyone would want to come here for fun... "Do you hear that?" I paused behind Bryce, flashing my light behind us, nothing.

   "Hear what?"

   "I could have sworn I heard someone say my name."

   "Are you sure?" I shook my head slowly, I wasnt sure. Suddenly our lights on our phones went black, my phone screen wouldn't turn on.