5

The sound of my hammer hitting nail echoed through the desolated woods in a steady beat

The sound of my hammer hitting nail echoed through the desolated woods in a steady beat. My eyes are focused on installing roof shingles but my mind keeps wandering back to earlier today.

Honestly, I headed out to town for supplies but I had somehow ended up following my mate to school. I watched her during her Resource hour. She looked serene underneath the maple tree with her head leaned back. Her wild burnt umber hair was still a strewn mess around her shoulders like earlier today. I liked that look about her. I liked how wild and free she looked.

Then I saw that boy hand her some treats. It infuriated me that he dared to provide for her so intimately but it didn't infuriate me as much as the look in his eyes when he looked at Sage. Anybody with eyes can see the apparent shine of adoration in his irises.

Thankfully, my mate was oblivious to his attention. I remained on school grounds watching her just for a little bit longer. I knew where she was even if she didn't tell me. I found her on the second floor. I held my breath the second her eyes scanned the edge of the woods. I questioned for a second if she saw me but I have a feeling she only felt my presence.

The leaves have fallen from all the trees into an eccentric blend of red, orange, and yellow on the ground. A rush of autumn breeze rushed passed me and snapped me back to the work at hand.

I don't know why I was fixing this abandoned cabin but I had replaced the front door, windows, and even cleaned out the cabin. It wasn't my job. This wasn't my home.

It was getting late. By the time I finished with the roof, it was around six in the evening. Gathering my tools and cleaning off some scraps, I was going to stop for the night.

I heard soft footsteps below me. My sister's natural scent carried along with the wind to where I was at.

"Liam?" she called out from below me.

I leaned back on my heels to look down at her. She wore a light brown jacket. Her black hair tied up into a high ponytail. The wind blew and she worked on sliding a few strands of black hair behind her ear.

I got down from the roof. Together we walked inside my cabin. The fireplace in the living room was burning logs and keeping the cabin warm. Katya walked in and her eyes widened in surprise when she saw what I have done to the place.

"Wow." She chuckled while looking at me with a grin.

I walked into the kitchen and turned on the kettle before reaching for two coffee cups for her and me. She slid into the wooden stool on the opposite side from me. I catch her removing her jacket and fixing her hair before settling her eyes on me.

"You fixed the place up. It looks really nice," she smiled.

"I don't know how long I would be staying here," I shrugged.

Her eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean? You're still not thinking about leaving, are you? Rose told me that her daughter is your mate."

I stopped midway in placing her tea bag into her cup and looked at her briefly. The mentioning of my mate's name made my heart skip a beat. Katya was also upset. I can see it on her face. Sighing, I placed the tea bag into her cup.