36

SAGE

I woke up to the sound of arguing voices in the hallway outside of the patient room. I recognized one of them as my dad. The other ones were more than likely his friends, Alpha Hunter and Beta Ace. The fourth voice I didn't recognize who it was. They seemed to be talking heatedly amongst themselves. I strained my ears to listen to their barely audible whispers.

"Don't bring your governing bullshit here," my dad growled.

"It's for the better good. You can rest assure that he—" the unknown person's sentence got interrupted.

"You're not getting anywhere near him," Alpha Hunter growled.

"It is not up for debate, Alpha Hunter. I have been instructed to—"

"If you give me that governing bullshit one more time, I swear I'll break your fucking nose," my dad snarled, and I heard a thump like someone was being shoved.

A throat cleared, "Will you two allow me to speak at all?"

"No," my dad and Alpha Hunter said at once.

"You best leave, Quinlan," Beta Ace advised.

"You know, I can't do that. I have been instructed---"

"Oh, for the love of God," my dad groaned.

"We don't know what he is," Quinlan replied calmly.

"He's one of us," Alpha Hunter countered.

"Have you seen him? He's a monster," Quinlan argued.

By now, I knew who they were discussing and if I was right, Quinlan was from the werewolf government. They were going to take my mate away. I was furious with them. No one was going to take Liam away from me.

I tossed back the thin hospital blanket and slowly got out of bed. Wincing a little when the pain in my chest throbbed. I was still healing but at least my ribs feel better. I could breathe better now too.

My bare feet touched the cold hard floor. When I stood up, my hospital gown fell to my calves. I made sure to cover my behind because the gown was wide open in the back. I made my way over to the door slowly. They were still arguing crossly between each other.

When I whipped the door open, my dad was the first one to look at me. Then Alpha Hunter, Beta Ace, and Quinlan turned to look at me. My dad didn't look surprised at all to see me awake. By the looks on their face, they knew I was awake. I set my eyes on Quinlan last.

"He's my mate," I told him with finality.

"That has mutant genes in his body. We don't know who or what he is," Quinlan replied.

I took a step toward him. My dad moved to grab onto my elbow just in case I decided to beat the living crap out of Quinlan who seemed to a very tall and slender man.

"He's my mate and before you go and tell me that he deserves to be put in a lab where you can observe and treat him like he isn't human, I'll tell you right off the bat that if you so much as touch him or look at him, I'll kill you or the next person who tries it. He didn't choose this life. He wanted a normal life but instead, he was tortured as a child and lived a traumatic life. No one was there to save him not even you guys. You call yourself our government. Ruling just and righteousness over our heads but where were you when he was being injected with these drugs. You allowed this to happen and now that he has become something that you can't understand, you're going to put him through hell once again."

With each word, I grew angrier and more protective. My wolf was snarling her approval. We would die before letting another person hurt him again.

"We tried—"