28

It happened so quickly

It happened so quickly. A brief glance before everything raced between us. Jerked and tossed as the car spun on the small country road. The impact hit my side and then the car flipped. I heard growls of many wolves. Scents of unknown werewolves. The sound of metal scraping against the cement. The car had flipped so many times I have become disorientated. My head slammed against something and I lost consciousness immediately.

I don't know how long blackness surrounded me. How deep I feel into unconsciousness—but when I awoke, I was hanging upside down. Blood dripping down my face and into my eyes. I blinked several times and tried to move. Pain shoots up my right arm and I screamed. I could smell the car fumes and the mixture of smoke. I also heard the loud, feral growls all around the car.

Using my uninjured hand, I wiped the blood from my eyes and moved to unbuckle my seatbelt. Preparing for gravity to pull me down, I moved my head to avoid hitting it. My body hit the roof of the car.

Remembering that Liam was in the driver seat, my eyes darted to where he was supposed to be, but he was nowhere in sight. Panic rolled through me. Did he get hurt? Did he fly out of the car while we were hit?

"Liam?" I breathed. My head pounded and I winced in pain. Gingerly, I moved to touch my forehead and noticed a huge gash on my right forehead. This must be the reason why I lost consciousness. I looked around the car for an escape route.

I noticed gas leaking and dripping onto the side of the road but Liam's driver side window was opened. I wiggled my way out of the car. I grabbed ahold of the underside of the car to assist me in standing up. Everything spun for what seemed like forever. My body swayed towards the car as if I was about to fall flat but I refused to lose consciousness again. I needed to find Liam.

Refocusing my eyes, I blinked until I can see what was going on around me. We were surrounded by rogues. Liam stood in front of the car. His t-shirt was torn, revealing gashes and wounds. His tattoo on his back enhanced with the headlights of the car.

"Liam," I said a little louder.

"Are you okay, Sage?" he called out, not looking back at me. His attention entirely on the rogues that surrounded us.

"I'm o-ok," I said after looking myself over.

"Are you injured?" he prodded further. His voice turning deeper and angrier.

"A cut on my forehead and right arm. I-I also think I dislocated my right shoulder," I said and fought back tears.

"Are you able to pop it back in yourself?" he questioned calmly but from his stance and the worry in his voice, he was anything but calm.

"I can," I replied.

My mom is the pack doctor. She taught me how to tend to myself. The basics of medical care. I hobbled into a standing position—pushing away from the car. With the uninjured arm, I grabbed the wrist of my injured arm. Breathing heavily through my teeth as the intense throbbing pain hits me hard. I felt like hurling onto the side of the street. Counting in my head, I waited till the count of three before I jerked. Pulling the arm forward and straight in front of me. I heard it popped into place. I cried out in pain, collapsing onto my knees.