7. Six Strong

7. Six Strong

I was not a happy camper at all, because I found myself feeling like I had slept for a few hours. Maybe I had gotten up just before dawn and didn't realize it. I couldn't remember what I dreamed about when I fell back asleep, or if I dreamed at all. Sometimes I had those nights where I did dream, where I felt that I did, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what was on my mind.

I heard someone barge in my door, ripping the blinds open. I groaned, throwing the pillow over my head. I gripped the edge of the bed just for good measure. I let the sheets get pulled off my body. I fought for my pillow.

"Come on, you've got to get up."

So, Bane was the one who decided to jump into the bear's cave this morning. Boy you picked the wrong time to wake me up.

"I'll get up when I feel like it," I retorted, swatting at empty air until I found some part of Bane—his arm, most likely.

"Would I change your mind if I told you breakfast is ready?"

"I'm not hungry."

"Boy, someone's grouchy this morning." I felt him sink my bed. Please, go away already. Let me sleep in for, like, another hour.

"Get out, Bane," I growled darkly.

"Or what?" he teased. "You won't get out of bed because you're too lazy."

"No, I'm too tired, not lazy." My arm hung over the side of the bed.

I squinted my eyes shut tighter when Bane ripped the pillow off my head. I heard it plop to the floor almost inaudibly. "Did you ever hear of knocking on the door before entering, anyway?"

"I don't think I need your permission."

"Yes, you do. It's my bedroom; therefore you'd need my permission to come in. Since you didn't get the memo, get out."

"Wow, you are stubborn. Well, two can play at that game."

"What?" I popped an eye open.

I yelped as Bane grabbed me around my middle, trying to pry me off the bed. I pressed my body as well as I could against the bed, my fingers digging in. My arms were starting to tire instantly. No, don't give up. But they did.

I thrashed around as Bane hoisted me over his shoulder. I realized he wasn't wearing a shirt, because I saw his bare back. At least he was wearing sweats.

I made a high noise of distress as I kicked him in his gut. I felt him wince under my blows, but it wasn't enough to let him drop me on the floor. Against my will, Bane carried me out of my bedroom and out of the hallway.

"My goodness," Sienna gasped. I ceased struggling. "Did you two wrestle in her bedroom or something?"

"No," I called from behind Bane's back. My head was pounding from all the blood that rushed to it; I tried to pick it up to lessen the pounding. This was so embarrassing. "He barged into my room and took me out of bed."

"She was being stubborn," Bane said, shrugging. I kicked him in the gut again. "No point in struggling anymore."

"I stopped a few seconds ago," I retorted. "It was a last-chance effort."

"A weak one."

"Can you set me down now?" I asked impatiently. "Your bony shoulder hurts."

"Fine."