20. The Waiting Game

The area we were in was a little different than what we were used to. There were more shrubs and there were a few fallen trees as well.

I breathed in the woodsy scent. I wasn't aware of woods being in District 1 since I lived in a neighborhood all of my life. But that didn't mean we didn't have trees.

Jenna, Victor, Bane, and I seemed to be taking our time, but it was because our pace was so slow. The boys were making us go this pace. Jenna and I exchanged irritated looks from time-to-time, knowing that we both felt the same way.

Birds flew silently above in the cover of the tree limbs and leaves. Nobody seemed interested in them, and I felt that wasting a dart on a flying target wasn't worth it. I realized I only used the blowgun once since I acquired it; I still had all six darts on me. This thing seemed worthless since I only used it once.

At one point, Jenna suggested she and I break off from the boys, but Bane wouldn't have it. He wanted us to stay together. Jenna and I fought hard for our freedom, but Victor and Bane weren't giving in. Pouting, Jen and I were forced into following the boys.

When we estimated it was noon in the arena, we took a break, taking turns eating and drinking. Bane and Victor tried their hardest to save some of the food for Jenna and me, but it was hard for them. I knew we should have packed more food. These boys eat like they're starving. In truth, it was hard for us Careers to starve since we had a food pile.

"I feel torn," Jen mumbled as she downed another drink of water. She shook her hair, her ringlets bouncing around her.

We were still resting, Jen and I against the same tree. Her fingers kept walking along the hilts of the array of knives she could choose from on the belt I had yet to receive back from her. I wished that she took the ax so I could reclaim the belt.

"Torn?" I repeated, head tilted to the side.

"Between staying here with you three to keep hunting and going back to Ben." She scratched behind her ear. She sniffed her fingers, making a sour face. "Ugh, I reek."

I sniffed myself, almost gagging. I smelled, too, and I had no doubt the boys did as well. How come nobody ever thought to mention to each other that we all stunk? Maybe it's time to venture out and find a spring or a lake, I thought. The water we've got is for drinking purposes only. The Gamemakers didn't exactly grace us with shampoo, soap, and towels in the Cornucopia, just like they didn't bother to give us even so much as a pill of medicine or even a piece of body armor.

"I can say the same," I admitted. I looked to see Victor and Bane crouched, peeking behind shrubs. I rolled my eyes. "I don't know about you, but I rank cleanliness right up there with food and water in terms of survival in here."

"I'm with you in that." Jenna pulled out a sharp, very small knife and began stabbing the tree she was leaning against. I hoped no deadly insects shot out from the bark and started to attack, because if they attacked her, no doubt they'd go after me and the boys.

"Hey, Jen?"

"Hmm?" I had her attention, but she was still focused on stabbing the tree.

I decided to bring up what I thought would be a smart move for the pack in the near future—the very near future. "I was thinking—"

"There!" Bane roared suddenly. Jenna and I looked at each other; she sprang to her feet quicker than I did.