8. Playing Nice

8. Playing Nice

"You're overreacting over nothing," I snapped at him. "It was just a simple look. You've got nothing to argue about with me about him. Like I've said countless times before, Bane, just drop it."

I stomped into the apartment. The sun was high still, but I could tell it was starting to set.

"What does it matter to you, anyway, if he looked at me?" I ranted.

"He could have been trying to pull you away from us," Bane protested hotly, slamming the door shut behind him.

"Are you seriously—?" I snorted, stopping to wheel around to look at Bane. My ice-blue eyes were hard. "Look, I'm part of the pack; I've got no other alliances other than to the pack. Do I need to keep saying 'the pack' to make you forget about him?"

"If you stop bringing him up, I'll forget about him." Bane crossed his arms.

"Ugh!" I screeched.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Sienna bellowed, scurrying out of the hall. "I take a nap for two hours and I wake up to this?"

Bane and I stopped glaring icily at each other to stare at Sienna.

My eyes softened. "Sorry," I said immediately.

"Now, what's all the ruckus about?" Sienna said calmly, smoothing her rainbow-streaked hair down.

"Bane apparently thinks it's wrong for strangers to look at each other," I said stiffly, folding my arms over my chest. "He's making a big deal over nothing! He's acting like the boy attacked me or something."

"Bane, dear," Sienna whimpered, coming to him to rub his muscled arm, "if Crystal says it's nothing, then it isn't. That's that, and don't question me on this. You don't want to get on my bad side."

Bane opened his mouth to speak but shut it. Oh sure, when she's in a bad mood, he won't cross her, but when I'm in a bad mood, he decides to poke fun at me. It's like poking a hibernating bear.

"Just let me know when dinner's ready," I said, stalking away.

"Where are you going?" Sienna called.

"My bedroom."

I shut the door and locked it, soon sliding down it to the floor. What was Bane's problem? So what if the boy stared at me for, like, five seconds? I didn't know what planet Bane was on, but in this world, it was natural for strangers to look at each other.

I sat on my bed, slowly calming down from fuming. I was huddled into a ball, breathing slowly through my nostrils, constantly counting in my head. I had tried counting to ten, but it didn't work. I figured counting until I felt better was the way to go since ten wasn't the number I stopped at.

* * *

I didn't come out of my bedroom at all, not even when Sienna called that dinner was ready. I sat rooted to my bed. I was not about to go out in the same room as Bane. I was still pissed at him. I didn't expect him to have such a short temper. That could be a deadly thing for everybody in the arena—including the members of the pack. If any of the other five got on his nerves, he'd probably kill them in an instant, totally forgetting about our alliance.

I shuddered at the thought. All it would take would be one rogue in the pack to lead it to collapsing.

I watched night fall. I figured since I was coming out of my room, I'd dress for bed in yet another fancy nightgown. This one was strapless and a sleek black that brought out my figure. I thought it was more of a dress than a nightgown, but it had the right material to be considered sleepwear. I fiddled with the moon charm on my necklace when someone knocked on the door.