23. A Dreary Day

23. A Dreary Day

My nose wrinkled as a drop of rain poked it. I burrowed my head under the blanket, but I could feel drops hitting my head.

I popped my head up, frowning. I shook my head. I saw I was too close to Bane. He was leaning away from me, looking peaceful in sleep. Still, even he, Jenna, and Victor had to be woken up by the rain, too. Wait a second...

If it was raining...we could fill up the water bottles! Without hesitation, I shrugged out of the blanket, diving for the bottles. It was a steady downpour, no thunder or lightning attached. I caught as much rain as I could. Sure, it wouldn't taste as good, but it was water nonetheless. I'd drink rain any day if it meant I got to live longer.

The bottles weren't filling up like I expected, they were filling up too slow for my liking.

A good amount of rain sprayed the three in the blankets. They woke up, scrambling. I laughed, nearly dropping the water bottles.

"Morning," I chirped between dying giggles.

"Don't tell me you did that," Jenna hissed, shaking her wet hair. "I will get you for that if you did."

"Oh no, I didn't," I assured her. I blinked rain drops away from my eyes. "I think we better get a move on. I don't know about you three, but I'm sure we can find a better campsite by the end of today."

"Someone sounds optimistic this morning," Bane mused, smiling. "What brought this on?"

"She's just happy because we nearly drowned in water whereas she didn't," Jen said bitterly.

"Ugh, I hate the rain," Victor snarled. He was trying to flick off the drops that clung to his clothes and his skin.

"You're just going to have to deal with it," I snapped. I sealed both water bottles when they were nearly full.

"Good thinking," Bane said. His hair was plastered to his head. He tilted his head to catch rain drops. Jenna and Victor looked at him oddly.

"What?" I asked them. "You both never caught rain drops on your tongue before?"

"It rarely rained in Two, and when it did, I stayed inside," Victor explained. Right, he hates the rain.

"You must've had a different childhood. I used to do that a few times when my parents let me go out in the rain. Look, I know it's the Hunger Games and all, but we've got to have a little, non-hunting fun."

"Hunting is the only fun I've known once I stopped fishing," Jenna muttered.

And on that note, we packed what was left and headed out into the rain.

The visibility wasn't very good considering the rainfall was very thick. It pelted us, some drops felt like I was being stabbed with a knife. There was no point in trying to shield ourselves with the blankets or the packs, because they'd get soaked in a minute flat, which wouldn't help us anyway.

It seemed, for a while, the rain showed no signs of stopping.

Victor was trying his hardest to endure the continuous rainfall, but it was obvious to see that he despised every drop that fell. Bane, Jenna, and I embraced the rain, or completely ignored it. I personally found it hard to ignore rain. At first I thought this was a blessing from the Gamemakers; the water wasn't poisonous nor did it burn off our skin. Still, it had to eventually go away. Seeing no sun and being soaked wasn't exactly a pleasant experience.