11. Showing Off

11. Showing Off

The pack was the first to find us. They were the few that arrived early. Bane swept the cafeteria, looking for Shane. I rolled my eyes; it was going to be one of those days.

Nobody was supervising the cafeteria, so I was going to watch Bane carefully to make sure that he didn't stir up trouble before he had his turn with the Gamemakers. In fact, there was really no need for me to, because he was chatting with Victor in whispered tones, which Aubrey tried to listen in on. Ben was picking at his fingers, trying to keep himself occupied.

"You nervous for today?" a gravelly voice asked. I jumped. When had Jenna sat next to me?

"Oh yeah, a little," I confessed.

"You shouldn't be. Home in your energy on what you're doing. The more energy you show, the more the Gamemakers will be impressed."

"Do you know this for a fact?"

"Of course. They're always interested in the first few districts. As time goes on, they begin to get tired. Personally, I would love to sit with them myself, just to judge how good or bad our competition is." She gave a crooked smile, her scarred corner of her mouth already pulled up. Even when Jenna kept a neutral face, she still looked like she was smiling. "Is he better today?" she asked me, looking at Bane.

"I'm not sure," I sighed.

"He seems to be obsessed with that boy from Twelve."

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"I don't know, Jenna. I wish I knew."

"It's probably got something to do with you."

"Since when?" I glared at her.

"Well, both times the boy from Twelve did something around you, whether directly or indirectly, or unintentionally, Bane was always there five seconds afterwards, guns loaded, ready to fire. You two don't know each other?"

"I've only known him from school, but even then we never talked much." I shrugged.

"I wouldn't believe it the way I see him around you, Crystal." She picked at one of her chewed nails.

Aubrey came to join us, pouting. I smiled. "Couldn't hear what they were saying?" I teased.

"No," she grumbled. I saw more tributes start to wander in. When I saw Shane and his district partner, I shot a look at Bane. He still seemed deep in talk with Victor, so I wasn't too concerned. "How much longer do we have to wait?"

"Until everybody comes in, I suppose," Jenna sighed. "I hope everybody gets here soon, I want to get my performance out of the way."

"Same," Aubrey said. "I feel bad for you, Crystal. You're the first to go."

"I am?" I squeaked.

"I thought you knew?" Jenna asked.

"N-no," I sputtered. Well, this was a good thing, right? I'd go first; I'd finish early, then retreat back to the apartment where I would wait hours nervously as I waited for the time to reveal my score on TV.

Maybe going first wasn't a privilege.

Jenna beamed. "I'm just kidding! Bane's going to go first, then you."