Chapter 17: Judgement

Monika walked through the monochrome hallways, unfazed. She had this light feeling in her gut, a feeling that told her that the end of the journey was almost at hand.

Flowey popped out of the ground. He was still chattering her ear off. "Y'know, I really respect you, Monika. You and I, we wouldn't hesitate to kill one another if we got in each other's way."

Monika kept walking. Flowey dug down and reappeared farther down the hallway. "Yeah, we wouldn't - wait. Why are you acting like that?" he questioned, for Monika had begun to look at him menacingly.

He ducked down. Monika kept walking. Flowey popped up again, and this time he wasn't smiling.

"What are you doing?" Flowey asked, and he couldn't keep the quiver out of his voice. "G... get that creepy grin off your face!" he squeaked, as Monika began to smile horribly.

She took out her knife.

Flowey made one of his squealing sounds and ducked underground, this time for good.

Monika walked on, and at LV 19 with 132 HP, stepped into the Final Corridor and saved her game.

Monika's footsteps echoed down the hallway, bouncing off the walls and pillars. Orange light shone through the windows, casting shadows on the ground. All was still and silent. At peace. As though this room had stood for a thousand years, and would continue to stand there, forever.

She could see the doorway at the other end. She knew she had to go through it. She just knew. She continued on, almost skipping.

That is, until she blinked, and a figure appeared in front of her.

Monika stopped in her tracks. A bell began to toll somewhere far, far away.

Once it had ended, the figure opened its mouth.

"Heya," it said in a deep, relaxed voice. "You've been busy, huh?"

"So. I gotta question for ya."

Sans stopped suddenly. Something felt terribly wrong.

Then, he understood. His body, it felt locked in place. It was locked in place. He was being held in place. He couldn't move. He couldn't dodge. He couldn't do anything. Monika was holding him in place with just her mind.

Monika took out her knife and walked up to him.

"Do you think," she said. "Do you think that the worst person in the world can change? That everyone can be a good person, if they just try?"

She reached him and stuck the point of her knife on his skeletal chin.

"I've heard all about you, Smiley Trashbag. And I'm not afraid of you. Don't you feel that? There's going to be no dodging on my watch. What's it going to be, comedian?" she said.

Sans didn't reply.

She blinked, and suddenly, a second figure was standing in the Hall, behind Sans, cast in shadow.

"Hey. Back off of my friend," it said, with a noticeable quiver in its voice.

"Who are you?" Monika asked.

The figure stepped forward.

It was Sans.

Wait. Wasn't Sans right in front of her, a knife being stuck up his chin?

On closer inspection, it wasn't Sans. It sure looked like him, but it wasn't exactly him. For one thing, he was dressed completely differently, in a blue scarf and gloves. And, for another, he had a star in his eye. As his eye.

"W... what..." Monika said.

She blinked, and a third figure appeared in the hallway.

"You heard the guy. Now BACK OFF." the figure said menacingly.

This figure, too, stepped forward into the light. It once again bore an uncanny resemblance with Sans, although his sweater was black , and his glowing eye was red. And he had a gold tooth.

Monika blinked and took a step backwards in surprise.

A fourth figure appeared in the hallway and stepped forward. This Sans - Monika had decided that they were all Sans - was dressed similarly to the original, but his clothes seemed to be stained in something... dark. And red. And he carried a gigantic axe.

"Hey, there," he said in a threatening tone. "You lookin' for a fight?"

Monika blinked again, and more and more Sanses began to fill the hall, each saying something as they appeared.

"Yo, broski!" yelled a garishly dressed Sans with sunglasses that read "YOLO". "You tryin' to do gen-a-cyde? That's not cool, sista," he said. Something behind his left sunglass lens was glowing.

"It's time I took a stand for something," a scowling red Sans said. He held up a bone and pointed it at Monika threateningly.

"Think you're flying high?" said a Sans dressed in a yellow-and-blue color scheme. "It's time to bring you right back down to Earth."

"Honestly, I'm just here because I have nothing better to do," groused a Sans with a black-and-white outfit and a heart locket.

"Amen, brother," a Sans with a crown on his head replied.

"SANNNNNNNNNNESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!" yelled a grotesque-looking Sans that appeared to be going through a seizure.

"NGAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" yelled back a Sans that had Undyne's face.

"Y'know, I could almost go for you," a Sans dressed in pink said seductively. "If you weren't such a violent murderer, I mean," he added.

"Ya gonna get dunked on!" shouted a tiny Sans in a high-pitched voice.

Everyone shut up for two seconds as two figures appeared towards the back of the crowd. One with a gigantic paintbrush attached to his back. One that was black and had blue strings crisscrossed all over his fingers.

"Ink?" someone that looked exactly like Sans but definitely wasn't said.

The figure with the paintbrush nodded. "Didn't I call you all here?" he asked, an oddly small voice issuing from the tall figure.

"And Error?" asked a Sans that held a gigantic bone behind his back asked.

The figure with the wires snorted. "If anyone is destroying the multiverse, it's going to be me." The Sans' voice sounded horribly distorted, as though someone was playing it on rewind.

Sans - the original Sans - stood at the front of the crowd, grinning as always. "And Snowdrake is the comedian," he said. "Everyone gets that wrong"

"Now then. Only one thing left to say."

A cacophony of voices filled the Judgement Hall, unified and strong, as a multicolored field of Gasterblasters appeared above, blocking the view of the ceiling.

"Do you want to have a bad time?"