Chapter 19: Stronger Than All of You

Chapter 19: Stronger than All of You

The Gasterblasters opened their mouths in sync and fired as one: a rainbow so bright that it outshone the sun that lit up the surface far, far above.

With a thought, Monika warped the space in front of her, and the Gasterblaster beams redirected right back to the crowd of Sanses.

The skeleton army had lightning-fast reflexes. But even as they dodged, ducked, jumped, slid, teleported, walked, ran, deflected, skateboarded, disappeared, absorbed, vanished, and blocked the beams...

Monika went on the attack.

That third Sans, the edgy one, was the first to recover. He began to throw a series of red bones, fast as thought.

Just as quickly, Monika caught the bones and threw them back.

The edgy Sans dodged and dodged, sweat beading on his forehead, but he simply couldn't keep up. A bone impaled him with enough force to push him back into one of the golden pillars.

"I-I-I..." he choked out. And then he crumbled into dust, his sweater draped over his bone.

A box popped up in front of Monika. "Your LOVE increased!" it chirruped.

All the Sanses stopped for one second, shocked at how quickly their friend had fallen.

But only one second.

Monika stabbed a Sans that looked like it held an infinity gauntlet, a Sans that had a pirate hat, and a Sans that looked like a photographic negative of the normal one. Each time, she felt herself continuously getting stronger. No attacks even came close to hitting her.

The Sans with the oversized bone hit her full-on with a Gasterblaster, dealing damage. With a thought, Monika's health jumped back up to maximum.

She lunges forward. The Sans stuck his bone out in front of her, as though trying to block the attack.

The knife cut through both the bone and Sans as though they were made of wet paper.

She slashed at the terribly dressed Sans with the sunglasses. Oddly enough, instead of dying, the Sans simply stood there and grinned.

"Sorry, broski, but I'm a bit too radical for you to-"

Monika stabbed through the Sans' left eyehole in total frustration.

There came the distinct sound of a soul breaking. The Sans looked at Monika with an expression of total horror before turning to dust, only his hat and broken sunglasses left behind.

The fight wore on, none of the Sanses ever able to deal enough damage before Monika instantly healed herself. She came to a Sans that was actually wearing his hood and slashed him.

His health bar appeared above his head and decreased slightly.

"Sorry, but I don't go down in one hit like everyone else here," he gloated.

Monika plucked the health bar out of the air and stabbed the Sans with it.

The health bar disappeared.

"Ha, your attack fai-" he managed to get out before turning into dust.

The Sans with the oversized paintbrush had finally had enough. He stepped out from behind the crowd and began to swing his weapon, each attack sending out waves of paint that flew through the air and were probably deadly.

Monika dodged them all flawlessly and lunged, stabbing the Sans.

Nothing happened.

She stabbed, and stabbed, and stabbed, and nothing happened. The Sans simply stood there and took it, grinning.

Monika felt her soul turn blue and knew that he was about to fling her away.

In desperation, Monika swung one more time, catching a single color dye that the Sans wore, the collection of which looked like a bandolier.

It shattered. The Sans stopped and gaped, as though she had just cut up a piece of his soul.

Encouraged, Monika slashed, cut through all of the color dyes at once, each exploding with color. The Sans gasped and shuddered, but instead of crumbling to dust, he simply froze and toppled onto the golden floor, as though he were a life-size doll. Dead, for sure.

The black Sans with the strings roared in fury so loudly, Monika was literally pushed back by the soundwaves. "YOU KILLED HIM!!!!!" he yelled, and he began to charge forward, dozens of blue strings flying towards Monika, trying to entrap her soul.

She cut away each of the strings as they came close, and ran to meet the Sans, dodging all the bones and Gasterblaster beams that came her way.

As they got a few feet within each other, the Sans summoned a dozen black Gasterblasters behind him, firing them all simultaneously.

Monika held out her hand. The beams hit an invisible barrier and dissipated.

Monika crossed the last few feet between them and, before he could do anything, stabbed the Sans directly in the chest.

9999999999999999

The Sans crumbled into a pile of dust that seemed darker than all the other piles that littered the Judgement Hall

After that, none of the other Sanses proved to be much of a challenge at all. It was an absolute massacre as Monika slaughtered them all, one by one, each unable to do anything as the deadly attacks rained down.

Eventually, Monika stabbed through a Sans that resembled the odd man who had once been her ally, bringing her LOVE up to 78.

She turned. There was only one left. The original.

He threw three bones at Monika. She calmly walked out of the way and made her way towards him, holding him in place once again.

"If it's any consolation..." Monika said, "You guys put up a good fight." She kicked a sweater out of her path, not caring who it once belonged to.

Sans' face beaded with sweat as tried to move, tried to dodge, tried to escape his inevitable destiny.

Suddenly, Monika lunged forward, the blade of the knife glinting menacingly.

Summoning an effort that Sans never even knew he had, he broke his bonds for one instant and ducked to the side, crashing to the ground as he did so.

He hit the floor and felt himself freeze once again.

Monika walked towards him, and this time, she was no longer gloating. "Just DIE already!" she shouted.

He knew it in his heart, his soul. This was the end.

Monika reached him. She stabbed.

This time, Sans didn't dodge.