Chapter 22: Genocide Complete

The Underground was silent. Dead.

Monika walked along the monochrome hallways, the dust of dozens of Sanses covering her clothes.

There was no light-hearted feeling left. No joy. Just the grim determination of finally, finally escaping, getting justice. This was the end.

She reached the throne room. A bird sung a song. The flowers bloomed.

Monika walked forward. Calmly. Patiently. There was no need to rush, not anymore.

There he stood, his back to her. The monster king himself. He appeared to be engrossed in a conversation with the flower bed at the foot of his throne.

Suddenly, he turned around and faced Monika in all his glory. A beam of sunlight streamed through the window and hit the ground where he stood.

"Strange..." he muttered, almost to himself. "I've never seen a flower... cry before."

He looked up, and it was as though he was seeing Monika for the first time. "Excuse me for asking, but... what kind of monster are you? I honestly cannot tell."

Monika stayed silent, and just looked at him.

The king took a breath. "Well, then-"

He was immediately cut off when Monika took out her knife. The room dimmed, and her soul popped out of her chest, just as it had done when she met Flowey so, so long ago.

"Now, now." the king said. "There's no need for fighting." The benevolent smile on his face looked absolutely fake. The king was terrified.

Monika brought down her knife in a wide arc.

9999999999999

Asgore dropped to his knees, in shock. "What..." he spluttered. "How..."

Monika raised her knife and prepared to strike again, when suddenly, a circle of white pellets surrounded the monster.

They slammed into him as one.

All the pain was too much for Asgore. His body, his cape, his armor: all of it dissolved into dust.

From the dust, a white soul rose into the air, shaking, but still holding together through sheer determination.

A single pellet that had been left behind slammed into it.

The soul splintered into two, then shattered into a million tiny pieces, scattering.

Flowey popped out of the ground, smiling happily. "See! I never betrayed you!" he quipped. "It was all a ruse, you see! I was just waiting to take him out for you!"

Monika ignored him. She didn't have access to Undertale's files. And Flowey didn't have a soul, anyway. She couldn't delete him. Seems that she had to do this the old-fashioned way.

Flowey was still talking. "I can be useful to you! I can help you! I-"

Monika brandished her knife.

All pretense of joy left the flower's face. "Please don't kill me..." he begged.

The blows rained down on Flowey, until he was a pile of plant dust, and then he was nothing.

Monika was breathing heavily. She pulled up the file directory.

"Undertale." she said to herself as she looked at the empty folder. "Like that helps."

Suddenly, a file popped into existence.

"What?" Monika said aloud.

She looked up. There was someone there.

The newcomer stood there. They wore a green-and-brown striped shirt and a wide smile that didn't quite reach their devil-red eyes. They stood there for a few moments, and looked at Monika.

After no time and an eternity, they opened their mouth.

"Greetings. I am Chara."

Monika blinked. Wasn't Chara the king's dead son, dead ages ago?

It was as though Chara was listening to Monika's thoughts. "I was brought back by your human soul. Your DETERMINATION."

"Now," they continued. "Let us erase this pointless world, and move on to the next."

Monika was shocked for a moment. "B...but I don't want to destroy the world," she said in a soft whisper.

Chara grinned. Their eyes widened, widened too far. "Well, WHO SAID YOU WERE IN CHARGE!!!"

The monstrosity began to stalk towards Monika, eyes empty, mouth twitching.

Monika calmly opened the file directory and deleted Chara's file.

Chara managed to give one look of total shock before he was deleted. Removed. Gone, forever.

Monika stood in a dark hallway. A hallway identical to the one right at the beginning of her journey, the hallway where she met Flowey for the first time.

A purple archway stood at the far end. Originally, it had led into the Ruins. Normally, here, it would lead to the surface, that extremely vague concept of a place.

But for Monika, it would lead somewhere else.

It would lead out of the prison of the Player's computer, and into the real world.

She touched the arch, feeling the lines of code that made it up. She twisted them, just like how Gaster taught her, bending them to her will, making them into something new, something that she wanted.

After a few seconds, she took her hand off of the cool surface. She stepped through the portal between worlds, free at last.