#2 Bad Memories

Stephen arrives in front of Emily's hospital room after someone told him that he needs to be there. He doesn't know what actually had happened, but it sounds urgent.

   He opens the door to see Emily sitting on the bed, pouting like a rebellious little child and a nurse shaking her head. As soon as he closes the door, Emily turns her head and beams when she saw him.

   "What's wrong?" Stephen asks the nurse after he came closer to Emily's bed.

   "I wanted to change her bandage, but she didn't want me to do it. So, she asked for you personally," the nurse answers and glances at Emily who is watching the television. She looks at her in the way that says, 'Who is this girl? How did she know Dr. Stephen Ainsley? And why did she ask for him to change her bandage?'.

   "Oh, that's okay. She's my sister, anyway," Stephen says and chuckles, making the nurse's eyes go wide.

   "This girl is your sister?" the nurse questions softly, earning a nod from Stephen. "Oh, I didn't know," she says quietly, more to herself.

   "Okay. Let's get started!" Stephen clasps his hands and sits on a chair beside Emily's bed.

   "Uh.. Do you need help with those?" the nurse asks Stephen whilst pointing to the specific equipment on a trolley beside him.

   "That's all right. I can do it. Thank you," Stephen smiles at the nurse in a friendly way before she exits the room. Emily catches her smiling shyly and blushing after Stephen gave her a smile that makes her heart go 'boom'.

   "Give me your hands, Emily," Stephen's voice cuts Emily's train of thought and she quickly shows him her hands.

   Stephen unwraps the bandage carefully, revealing large and small cuts on Emily's hands, causing her to flinch a bit when she saw them.

   Although the cuts are almost healing up, Emily is surprised to see that there are lots of them on her hands. What did she do? Or who did this to her?

   "Why didn't you want the nurse to do this?" Stephen suddenly speaks. His eyes are still inspecting Emily's injured hands.

   "Because I'm scared and it hurts," Emily says softly, still pouting.

   "It doesn't matter who does it. It still gives you pain," Stephen comments and continues cleaning the wounds.

   "That's fine. I don't trust the nurse to do this. I trust you because you're my bro-- Ouch!" Emily slightly flinches and pulls her hand away.

   "Sorry," Stephen smiles apologetically.

   A few minutes later, Stephen has finished bandaging up Emily's hands and then he examines them before letting them go.

   "Thank you," Emily shoots Stephen a small smile and turns her head to watch the television. Then, the door opens and another nurse comes in, holding a tray of food and drink. She puts the tray on a table in front of Emily.

   Stephen and the nurse watch Emily as she struggles to hold a spoon and after she manages to keep a firm hold on it, it slips out of her fingers and falls on the floor, producing a loud clinking.

   "Your hand is still hurt?" Stephen asks as he picks up the spoon and puts it back on the table.

   Emily nods and sighs. How is she supposed to eat if her hands feel numb? Then, she's got a brilliant idea. She turns her body, holds Stephen's arm and stares at him in the way that says, 'feed me, please?'  whilst blinking her eyes.

   "I can't, Emily. I'm sorry. I have an appointment in a few minutes," Stephen quickly understands what Emily wants and declines politely, causing her to whine and shake his arm childishly.