#18 Rumour

When the Robertson twins have arrived at their house, they immediately notice a woman sitting in the living room. That is not Sarah, Elizabeth, Grace or one of the housemaids. So, who is she? A burglar?

   "Who is that woman?" Thomas peeks his head from the door frame.

   "I don't know.... But wait, I see someone else over there!" Emily whispers and stands on the tips of her toes to see clearer as Thomas is standing in front of her. He is so tall and big like a giant! Then, she puts her hands on his shoulders to balance herself.

   "Where?"

   "Over there! At the window," Emily points to the man whose back is facing them and who is looking out the window.

   "Oh, yeah, yeah. I see him. But wait........" Thomas trails off and leans forwards whilst squinting his eyes. Emily also does the same.

   "Isn't that William?" the twins say in unison.

   "What are you two doing?"

   There is another voice coming from behind them, startling them. And Emily, being the dramatic queen she is, screams and almost falls onto the floor.

   William and the woman in the living room, turn their heads when they heard the commotion.

   "What's wrong with you? Why are you so jumpy?" Sarah, who is standing behind the twins, chuckles and pats Emily's back.

   "She just saw a ghost," Thomas laughs and shakes his head at Emily.

   "Ghost? Where?" Sarah looks around playfully and then laughs when Emily frowns at her.

   "Hey ~" William appears beside Thomas and smiles meaningfully at Emily, which makes her confused. Why is he smiling at her like that? Is there something funny on her face? She is about to go to the bathroom near the kitchen to check on her face when William suddenly clears his throat and speaks:

   "Thomas, Emily, I would like you to meet someone."

   Thomas and Emily look at each other quizzically while William calls over the woman they just saw earlier. She walks towards them modestly and William wraps an arm around her shoulders.

   "This is my girlfriend, Rebecca. Rebecca, these are two of my siblings, Thomas and Emily," William shows his pearly white toothy smile.

   "Oh.. Hi.." Thomas and Emily wave their hands at William's girlfriend, Rebecca. When they realise that they are saying and doing the same thing, they glance at each other, making Rebecca gaze at them in amusement.

   "They are twins, actually," William adds.

   "Ahh.. I see," Rebecca comments and laughs politely. "It's so nice to meet you!" she smiles warmly at Thomas and Emily.

   "Yeah, me too!" Thomas replies and Emily nods her head in agreement.

   Emily just remembered that William used to tell her about his girlfriend and that he is going to introduce her to the whole family someday. Maybe today is the day! Wow, she cannot wait! Anyway, she meets William's eyes and smirks at him naughtily, causing him to shove her gently.

   "Excuse me.. I have to go to my room," Emily courteously says and when Sarah and William nod their heads, allowing her to leave, she quickly turns around and runs up the stairs.

   As she has arrived in front of her bedroom, she reaches out her hand to open the door, but not before feeling someone pulling her backwards by grasping her bag.

   "Wait a sec," Thomas speaks and blocks Emily's bedroom door with his extended arm.

   "What?" Emily lazily grips her bag strap and rolls her eyes. She wants to enter her bedroom which is also known as her 'secret nook' or comfort zone, because she does not want to confront Thomas and talk to him about the incident in the library. She just wants to pretend that it never happens! She silently hopes and prays that the reason Thomas stopped her from getting into her bedroom is to banter with her and not to ask anything she is not comfortable answering.