Izaya x informant!reader

Since I had been young, I had always wanted to know well everything. The more you know about something, the less you fear it. I was very good at picking up small details, that others would deem unimportant, but in the end were crucial.

I always imagined me growing up to be a detective and fighting crime. But as time processed and I grew more and more aware of the corrupt system of our society, I quickly discarded any plans on becoming another tool of it.

To say that I hated humanity exaggerated, but I wasn't exactly fond of it either. I liked to be more in the shadows and look at how things would play out without interfering.

There were many rumors spread about Izaya Orihara. Most of them were wrong or over exaggerated, but some had a little truth to them. Trouble seemed to follow him everywhere, which is precisely why I never approached him. Still, I admired the way he could always get himself out of tricky situations and make it seem, like he didn't have anything to do with it.

He was quite open in his love for humanity and how interesting he found it. It was surprising to see how he could talk on and on about different subjects, but you still didn't really know anything about him.

After I finished school I found out that he became an informant broker and worked for the Yakuza, which I didn't really find surprising, since he had shown already early a liking in manipulating people to get what he wants, or simply for his own amusement.

You could say that I also chose a similar path to his, but instead of doing it in the open I preferred to be more discret about it. It was especially very helpful, when I needed to go undercover to an event to get information, since nobody knew who I was and I was pretty good at changing my looks so that no one would find out the pattern and uncover my identity.

I was wandering around the city when I heard someone call my name. My real name. A name that I hadn't used in years. I felt myself getting weary abd turned around only to see Izaya standing in front of me grinning at me. I looked around to make sure no one was around us and relaxed myself when I saw that we were alone and no one else seemed to be around.

"[y/n], aren't you happy to finally meet me? I must say, that I heard a lot about you, which means that you probably heard alot about me to. To be honest, I was expecting someone... well someone more impressive from what I heard from other people", he said while grinning at me with that annoying smirk of his.

I raised my eyebrow and just said sarcastically: "Well I'm sorry not to have reached your expectations of me."

"Well, I wouldn't put it quite like that", he said still smirking. Seriously, was that the only expression he was capable of doing?

" I have something to discuss with you and it would be best, to do this in privat", he added.

I sighed internally. It had already been a long week and it didn't seem like I would catch a break any time soon.

So I just nodded and gestured him to lead the way.

He brought me to his office/apartment and gestured me to sit down on the black sofa. Which I hesitantly did after a few seconds of pondering if it would be better to stand and be prepared to fight or bolt out of the room in any moment.

But since he had gone this long without any attempts on my life, even if he had many opportunities to do so, I decided that it was safe to sit. He also wasn't known for murdering people.

Which those thoughts in mind I managed to relax a little bit, but not fully.

"You've done alot of impressive work [y/n]. And it was nearly impossible to find out who you were, you are really good at covering your tracks", he finally said.

"It seems that I'm not good enough", I grumbled.

" Don't worry, your system is pretty good and it was more about luck that I even find out who you were. Really impressive work for a little human like you."

My eyes narrowed and I glared at him. It really annoyed me how he was talking to me, but I wouldn't step down to his level, that was just what he wanted.

He seemed to wait for me to retaliate, but when it became apparent, that I wouldn't respond he started talking again.

"A client of mine wanted me to find out who you are. It seems like you've 'ruined his life' or something like that."

"You have to be a little more specific than that, since that description can be used to alot of people that I've known in my career", I said feigning disinterest.

He looked at me seemingly amused, before he became serious and looked me in the eyes, before he said:"It's him." 

I became rigid. Me and Izaya had only worked once before together and I insisted on absolute anonymity, so I knew exactly who it was.

"Are you sure?" I questioned quietly and he just nodded.

"It seems like he still hasn't found out that I helped you in that case, or he wouldn't have come to me, but it's only a matter of time until he finds out."

My vision became unfocused and my breath came out in short gasps as I tried my best not to lose control. My fists were clenched tightly and after some time when I could finally think clearly I looked at Izaya and asked him something, that I would've never thaught I would ever ask: "Would you work with me?"

For obe second he looked almost surprised, like he would've thought that my pride would prevent me from asking him from help. Which it would, if this would be a normal occasion but safly it wasn't. Then he smiled and said:" It would be my pleasure."