Queen of mean (au)

Song: queen of mean 

I sat on a white bench in the garden, looking thoughtfully in front of me. I had just witnessed my fiancé kissing another girl in front of me. 

Our marriage was arranged by our parents and though we both didn't have any romantic feelings for each other, I had wanted to try to make it work. Or at least him to have that much respect for me to not do it in front of  me.

I pretended not to notice, when he would stare at other girls. I pretended not to care, when he would ignore me and I pretended that it didn't matter to me, when he couldn't even remember my birthday.

In front of other people I acted like our relationship wasn't slowly falling apart. I never asked anything from him. 

I followed all the rules, that I had gotten from a young age in order to become a fair and compassionate queen. I drew inside the lines and did everything that was asked from me. I waited patiently for my time, were all of my hard work would finally be paid of and I would become the queen.

Today was supposed to be that day. It was our wedding. We were standing at the altar, when he decided that he couldn't do this and called her name.

My vision became blurry, as tears began to roll down my face. My body shook with silent sobs and I tried my best to keep quit.

I didn't understand it. I didn't even like him, why did I feel this overwhelming pain?

"Well, well. Seems like I was right all along. What a surprise!" I heard a voice say sarcastically.

I raised my gaze from the floor and looked behind me to see the source of the voice. I saw him leaning against a tree looking at me with an mischievous glint in his eyes.

"I told you, that I don't want to have anything to do with you."

"Aw come on, I told you this was gonna happen. I don't know, why you act so surprised."

"This is none of your business and no matter what you say, I will never help you with your plan."

"I'm sure that you're going to change your mind. But I see that you aren't quite there yet. You now were to find me."

And just like that he was gone.

After I had calmed down and my eyes didn't feel as puffy anymore, I decided to go back to the castle, with the last shreds of dignity I had.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The last few days I noticed some changes in behavior from the people around me. Many looked at me coldly or with pity and I heard some servants questioning why I was still there.

There was alot of whispering around me. Some felt sorry for me, but most of them just thought that I should go back were I came from, since I was no longer needed here.

The atmosphere in the castle was very tense. The  king was enraged at his son for going against his orders and not stock to his end of the contract. 

The longer I stayed there, the more humiliated I felt, but my parents refused to let me come home before I sorted things here out and became the queen.

Every day I saw what was supposed to be my fiancé flirt with his girlfriend making her blush and kiss her in front of me. 

He whispered something in her ear, making her laugh.

As I looked at her, I knew exactly who to blame for my situation.

After another awkward dinner with the king and my 'spouse', I said that I needed some fresh air and went outside. 

I thought that I could do this. But it seemed like I had overestimated myself. Something in me snapped that day.

I never thought of myself as mean, but on the other hand, I also always thought that I'd be the Queen. 

I had lived my life having only this one goal, and now it was ripped away from me. 

It became obvious, that I wasn't welcome here anymore. Maybe I should help Izaya. He stood against everything I believed in, but maybe it was time for a change.

I was sure, that I will never let another person take advantage of me, which also meant that I had to be extremely careful while working with Izaya, since he was very manipulative. 

My blood was boiling, when I thought about how the prince had humiliated me in front of every one.

So or so, in the end I will be their queen. They had the chance to choose and they chose it to be the hard  way.

Nobody would get close to me, that was clear. They are going to bow to the Evil Queen. Their nightmare is my dream and in the end they would fall for our wicked schemes.

Now there's a devil on my shoulder where the angels used to be and he's calling me the Queen of Mean. 

I was on the edge of the forbidden forest and I had no idea in which way I had to go. Suddenly it felt like some sort of energy was pulling me. It almost felt, like I didn't have control over my body. I was unsure were I was headed, when I suddenly saw a clearance in front of me. 

The moment I stepped my foot in it though, it seemed like shadows were enveloping me and I couldn't see, hear or feel anything. 

"I knew that you would be back. And as long as you will hold your part of the deal, I will promise you vengeance on all the people that have wronged you."

"I will help you", I said without hesitation.

"Well, it seems like someone has changed their attitude towards me. Are you sure you're willing to pay such a price?"

"The price that I'm willing to pay is expensive, there's nothing to lose when you're lonely and friendless. So my only interest is showing this princess, that I am the Queen and my reign will be endless!" 

I wanted what I deserve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked from afar with an blank expression at the kingdom burning down in front of me.

Then I would have settled down for being their queen, but now when I knew which kind of potential I had, I wanted to rule the world. Now it's  finally my turn.

Izaya stepped next to me and looked towards the chaos we created. 

He looked at me and grinned and I grinned back. 

Maybe... just maybe it wouldn't be that bad to have another person standing beside you.