Chapter 12

They're hurt again. Caught up with one of the twelve moon demons, again. I just went to check on their progress at the red light district, only to he told by a crow that an upper moon had appeared and was already causing rampage within the area. The fact that the commotion they caused attracted lesser demons only slowed me down. I was still a bit rusty but the demons were still no match for me. I spotted the snake pillar nearby and with a single exchanged glance, he quickened his pace. Message received. I'd deal with the weaker demons here as he moves past them to get to the upper moon demon.

" Die, you-" The demons' heads rolled and crumbled one by one.

" Breath of Feathers, first form : Soar." The first form is always the most basic and the easiest to master. I continued to advance towards the red light district, holding my blade steady. But at that unexpected moment as I neared the rubble, a memory came up.

" Hey, Hisao," Kija whispered to me as Itsumi left to get some snacks. " You ever been to the red light district?"

" Red light district??" He looked at me with disbelief in his eyes. " What kind of place us that?"

" Keep your voice down!" He hissed as he leaned in.

" Why are we whispering?" I asked him. He pulled me closer and I listened carefully to his explanation. " I-I'd never! Why does such a place exist??"

" What kind of place?" We both froze as Itsumi stood behind us with a plate of snacks. I avoided facing her which was a huge mistake, because it indicates that I'm ashamed or embarrassed.

" Well," Kija chuckled nervously. " I gotta go visit the butterfly estate for medical supplies."

" Hold on, Kija-san. Don't you want a snack?" Kija declined but Itsumi insisted. The way she leaned forward silently with the veil covering half her face has earned her a nickname : Ghost Crane. " Are you sure, Kija-san? I just want to know, what sort of dirty things have you been telling my husband? Are you trying to taint him with something I don't know about?"

" N-No, Itsumi-san. I wouldn't-"

" You know, my hubby was practically raised up here. He doesn't come down often...don't ruin him..." She kept her smile which made it all the more worse. Where did she learn this from? " Hisao~." I gulped as she turned to me. " What were you talking about?"

" I..." I glanced at Kija whose eyes begged me not to tell. Honestly, between your friend and wife whose about to kill both of you, who else would you side? " The...red... something..."

" The red light district?" She craned her head towards Kija threateningly.

" Hisao, you traitor..."

" Kija, you're still training your reflexes right? Why don't you run up and down the mountain twenty times. Using the killing route, the one with the most traps. You better be done and back here by sundown." Kija groaned as he began his punishment. " Hisao,"

" Yes, dear?" She looked at me carefully and lifted her veil. " Is something wrong?" Her beautiful eyes stared into mine. She was very close, it was making me nervous.

" I was just thinking. If I grew old, would you grow bored of me? I wondered why people visited the red light district. Pleasure? Are they bored of their own wives?" She looked with uncertainty, a silent unspoken fear that any woman hide at the back of their mind when such a place is mentioned by their husbands. Gently, I placed a hand on her cheek and leaned in, planting a kiss on her lips.

" I will never do such a thing. How can I prove to you that I'm not bored?" I asked her in a soft voice.

" Kids." She said simply. " I want kids." Of course, what better way to prove your loyalty than committing yourself to a family.

The memory is sweet but the timing was terrible. I barely noticed the demon's claws and managed to dodge just in time. It looked like some sort of ice monster with frost covering some parts of his body. Unfortunately, I'm also terribly close enough to the fight to be prone to some of the upper moon demon attacks. So, having to maneuver through both, I had test my limits even if I am rather rusty.