Chapter 24

" I apologize for not being able to achieve the mark as well." I told Amane-san during the pillar meeting. " But I dare to believe that I won't be able to achieve the marked stage no matter how hard I train."

" The hell do you mean by that?" Sanemi growled at me.

" Don't tell me you're giving up so quickly because of being useless during the recent events." One day, I'm going to choke this Snake Pillar to death. " I get it you're old but wow, isn't too early to give up? It could manifest-"

" That's the thing. I am too old." I began my explanation. " Up to his day, there has been no record of marked demon slayers around the age of thirty. This year I will be thirty-one and I truly believe the mark will not appear. Power always comes with a price. I think I'd die before manifesting the mark."

" I see." Amane-san nodded. " Then, Oyakata-sama's orders were correct. Arakawa Hisao, The Feather Pillar and Master of crows will from now on be in charge of guarding the cheif of the swords smith village and several other pillar sword smiths in the Wisteria Nest Mountain." My mountain. " As receiving the mark will be the top priority for the other pillars, the Feather Pillar will focus on completing his successor's training and commit seppuku upon completion."

" What?" Some of the other pillars muttered. Gyoumei stayed silent. " Was it because of that time? So it wasn't a rumor at all." Mitsuri muttered. " You actually murdered someone."

" Yes." Was all I could say to them. My actions were unjust and unbecoming of both a demon slayer and a pillar. Death is what I deserve and nothing less. Once some of the matters were settled, the pillars are to discuss how to train. Giyuu caused a bit of a scene but was resolved by Gyoumei. " This literally has nothing to do with me now." I told them as I prepared to leave. " Unlike the rest of you, I'm way past the age boundary of manifestation and would probably die if I even get that mark. Definitely. I'll wish you all good luck for now." I said as I closed the door.

 I sighed and ran my hand through my face.As a demon slayer, one would expect they could die at any moment. But my case is different, I'm literally destined to die one day and expectantly by my own hand. My crow, Gin, perched himself onto my shoulder and snuggled my neck. " I'm sorry, Gin. But I'm joining Itsumi soon." Aoi's training will surely be completed within the span of the pillar training. She won't like this and I haven't been able to tell her lately. Every time I try, I'd get this feeling from the bottom of my soul that seals my mouth completely. ' She doesn't have to know. I could have one of the sword smiths cut off my head.' I thought to myself as I returned to my mountain to prepare for the guests.

" Arakawa-san!" I was surprised to find myself greeted happily by a young girl with long braided silver blue hair. " It's been so long! How've you been? I heard your hair grew out, can I touch it?" She beamed with a lovely smile.

" Long time no see, Moya-chan." I said as I patted her head. It's been a few years since I've seen her, the last time I did was before I lost Itsumi. This blind girl is capable of using breaths but the Shinazugawa brothers wouldn't allow it. They're like her adoptive brothers. " How are you? Come on, we've got a lot to talk about."

" Did you tell them?" Kyoha asked me. It's been a week since the pillar training had begun. Some of the swordsmith were placed in some temporary huts, complete with all the tools they need, on my mountain. Moya and the girls from the estate are here as well. Aoi had been undergoing training with the other pillars and once she finishes with the wind pillar, she'll come to the mountain to complete her training.

" Not yet." I told Kyoha. How could I? With everything going on, the final battle is upon us and the demon slayers must survive this fight. " I don't want her to get discouraged."

" I see. She'd never want to complete her training if she found out, huh?" Kyoha said to me. " Couldn't we, change it? I'm sure Oyakata-sama would understand."

" He's ill. I don't want him to be thinking about this. Otherwise, this is the law of our land. Blood must be payed in blood. I'm no better than those demons if I choose to escape the punishment. I killed a human being, Kyoha. Nothing can change that."