Chapter 27

Hisao received the letter with a grave look on his face. If things do happen as predicted tonight, then they need to do everything they can to protect the mountain at least to ensure the demon slayers' survival. From the knowledge of poisons to the blacksmiths. All must be protected at all costs. Aoi and Moya helped to collect some wisteria for a protective barrier and poisons in case of demons. Some of the Kakushi had to prepare to leave for the great fight, civilians must be protected as the main goal.

" Aoi, Moya." Hisao called them gently. " Are you two alright?"

" Of course." Aoi answered. " We're safe up here, aren't we?" She asked him with a smile. He returned the smile and patted both of them softly on the head. " Hisao-san! My hair's getting messy."

" No it's not." Hisao stated but paused when Moya held his hand.

" But I don't like messy hair." Moya squeaked. " Look! We collected a lot of wisteria. Soon we can make a barrier, right Aoi?"

" Yeah, don't worry Hisao-san. Shinobu-sama taught me how to make insense and barriers. I can help here." Aoi said confidently.

" That's good." Hisao said with a gentle smile. " It's not like I can leave the mountain right now."

" You're such a shut in, Arakawa Hisao." Kija said as he stuck out his tongue beneath the mask. " You're not even coming to her check up? You know, it could surprise you..."

" Itsumi is the healthiest person I know. She's too perfect to be ill." Hisao said confidently with a smirk as he kissed her cheek.

" You're very sweet today, aren't you?" Itsumi mused as he snuggled her neck like their crows would. He paused for a moment when she stated that and was embarrassed when he caught the look on Kija's face.

" I...." Both started to snicker as his faced turned red. " Shut up, Kija!" He shouted at his friend but it only made the latter laugh.

" Awww, so sweet. Get a room!" Kija teased. " You're so bashful, Hisao. Eh?" He quickly hid behind Itsumi as Hisao reached for his blade. " Hey, calm down. Lady Itsumi, help! Hisao's trying to kill me!" Kija whined as avoided looking at Hisao in the eye.

" There, there...." She said gently as she patted Hisao's arms. He relaxed as she kissed his cheek. " We'll be going now."

" Stay safe." Hisao said gently to her as he kissed her hands. " Come back to me, alright? You too, Kija." Kija smiled beneath his mask as he scoffed and nodded. When Hisao turned back to Itsumi she had the strangest look in her eyes as she closed the distance between them. Her lips against his as she kissed him passionately for a moment before pulling away gently. Hisao's smile faltered as she placed a hand on his cheek almost sadly. " Is...something wrong?" He said in a whisper.

" No, I...it's nothing." She said to him with a small smile. " I love you." He didn't know why but he didn't want her to leave yet, not now, not ever. Call it dramatic but she had to pull away from him slowly as she moved to Kija's side for her check up. Kija continued to smile for them, he secretly loved watching them together. They were so warm and loving to one another, it tugged his heart strings. He had shipped them from the moment they met. But somehow, he felt something off. They felt it too, didn't they? They watched each other leave but it felt different than usual.

" Lady Itsumi, I promise, I'll do whatever I can to protect you and bring you home." He said to her with a cheerful voice, trying to put her at ease as they walked down the path to the butterfly estate. " Haven't you told him why you're going for this check up?" He asked her to lighten the mood.

" Well, I'm not even sure yet so no." Kija sighed deeply. " What's wrong?"

" With your breathing technique, wouldn't you already know?" Kija asked her.

" I would...but I really need to be sure. It's only been a month or so, don't worry." She said with her gentle smile. " When we return, I'll surely tell him. How do you think he'd react?"

" He'd probably freeze." Kija said with a scoff. " This kind of thing would definitely take a toll on him. Then he'd probably jump in the air like twenty feet before falling down like an idiot." They both laughed as they imagined how he'd react to the news. " So, do you think it's gonna be a boy or a girl?"

" I don't know..." She thought for a moment. " If it were a girl what would I name her..."

" I know." Kija began in an excited tone. " How about Yua? She'll be the result of you and Hisao's love wouldn't she? Sara isn't bad either, she'll be like a beautiful little flower. Niko, cause she came from you two." He paused for a moment before picking out another name. " Or maybe something like Aoi, it's a pretty simple name."

" That's funny, I actually told Hisao that if we had a daughter I'd maybe pick that name." She smiled sweetly. " I already decided what's the name if it were a boy."

" Really?" Kija said in an excited voice. " Is it something like Hiroto or maybe Haruto? Something more graceful cause I hope he's not like Hisao. Maybe Yuuto?"

" Kija."

" You're right. Simple is better. Ren or Kei would sound better, right?"

" Kija. His name will be Kija." The Kakushi paused in silence.

" My...name?" Kija muttered. " It doesn't really have meaning. It's not even Japanese. I'm, not really Japanese." He doesn't know why she was giving him such an honor. " He shouldn't have a meaningless name, right?"

" But it does have meaning." Itsumi said as she smiled sweetly. " It is the name of our Kakushi and the name of the boy's guardian."

" Lady Itsumi..." Kija muttered as they kept waking.

" So you better hope it's a boy." She winked at him.

" Right...Thank you..."

Sharp eyes watched the wisteria mountain with a longing look. Was this the place he'd been looking for?