- 09 -

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the last chapter! I really appreciate it! Keep sending those ideas!
__________________________________

"Please don't make me," Madison whimpered, clutching her Tinkerbell doll as close to her chest as humanly possible. Tears were welling up in her stormy blue eyes and her bottom lip was wobbling, trying to hold back her sobs.

"Baby, no. Why all the tears, huh? Everything's okay," Zayn spoke calmly.

Dinner had just ended about ten minutes ago. Everything had gone wonderfully. As a treat, Zayn and Liam let Madison pick what they were to eat and even let her and Louis help prepare. Seeing as she wasn't great at decisions and all the attention put on her made her anxious, they had to help make a decision. In the end she decided on chicken and rice, much to Louis' pleasure. They had no issue putting her in the high chair and feeding her. But of course, all good things must come to an end at some point.

After dinner, they let Madison and Louis watch some cartoons while the couple picked up the kitchen. Everything was great until Liam went to play with Louis until bed time and they had decided Zayn would give Madison a bath.

That's how they ended up here. Zayn was sitting on the edge of the tub, consoling the sobbing girl. Madison was standing in between his legs, holding on to her plush in search of comfort. Zayn had both of his hands placed on either side of Madison's tear-stained face, trying his absolute hardest to calm her down. The second they had entered the bathroom and Zayn closed the door, she became anxious. But when he started the tub, she almost immediately became inconsolable.

Zayn kept his hands on her head, his thumbs wiping away at every tear that fell. And even though more came after each one, he wouldn't ever stop wiping the tears from her face. This was his little girl.

"Please, pl-please, don't make me," Her cloudy eyes burned into Zayn's soul as she begged him.

"Maddie, angel, you've got to calm down, baby girl. You're on the verge of a panic attack. Look at me. Hey. Look at me," Zayn demanded, pushing her hair back.

The girl let out another sob, shoulders shaking. She forced her eyes up to Zayn's and continued to cry.

"You are okay. You are safe. I am never going to let anything happen to you as long as I can help it. Listen to me. Copy my breathing. In, out. In, out."

Madison kept her eyes on his, trying her very best to follow his instructions. When she looked in his eyes it was like a trance. She felt like there was a bubble around her. Around the two of them. Nothing was going to hurt her. She didn't know how. Or why. But she believed him.

She didn't even know why she was reacting this way. Yes, she was uncomfortable with the idea of being bathed by Zayn. And being unclothed around him. But he had made sure to fill the tub with bubbles high enough that it would nearly cover her shoulders.

Her brain was just so overwhelmed. She had never been treated this way before. Why? Why would they want her? They were just going to throw her out eventually anyways or bring her back. She didn't want to get attached. Madison wasn't good at a lot of things. But one thing she was good at was getting attached too easily. She could be with someone for an hour and have separation anxiety afterwards if they meant that much to her. She just wanted to get that part over with! She wanted to leave so the pain would be gone quicker. The longer time went on the worse it was going to hurt. It was like a band-aid. She just wanted to rip it off and be done with it.

"Madison." Zayn had been saying her name for nearly a minute. Her eyes were locked on his but they were glazed over. Almost like there was nothing inside of her. He was starting to get worried. Well, more than he already was.