5 Family

Daisy stayed another two nights. And it's impossible and scary to say no to a tired Daisy. So that's how I ended up this morning in Dean's kitchen cooking and cleaning, I have started to feel a bit better around Dean.

"Please, tell me you're a morning person, enjoying cooking, and I'll marry you." Comes a sleepy and rough Dean voice.

I turn to look at Dean. Then I slowly lift my hand, wiggling my fingers, and say suggestively. "Oh, sugarplum, I hope you're talking at least five carat's!"

He chuckles and comes into the kitchen. "It smells heavenly in here."

I hand him a cup of coffee. "Sugar and cream are on the counter, and so is pancakes. I hope it's okay I raided your fridge."

"Are you kidding me?" Dean asks, taking his seat. He then proceeds to stack pancakes and pouring maple syrup over them. After taking the first bite, he moans and slumps in his seat.

"God, they're delicious. The marriage offer still stands." Dean announces and keeps eating. When he's done, I take his dish and wash it while he drinks his coffee. "Where's Daisy?"

"Left about an hour before you got up. Said she had some things to do." When I turn around, Dean's looking at me intensively. He's wearing black pajama pants and a white T-shirt. He has a watch on his left wrist. Weird.

"Triple D is usually closed on Mondays. So we're free today. Do you have any plans?"

We? My brows furrow. "We? Plans?"

"Yes, we. If I'm off, you're off. And have you planned to do anything today?"

"Um... No?" Why do I feel like that is a trick question?

"Great. Are you good with tools?"

"Tools?" Is it just me, or I do sound especially smart this morning?

"Yeah, like a hammer, saw, power drill?"

"I can manage."

"Awesome! We leave in an hour. Be ready." Dean stands and leaves a kitchen. After a moment, he hollers. "Do you have work clothes? Something you're okay with messing up?"

"Yeah." I holler back still standing in the kitchen.

I was starting to feel better with Dean's presence, but going somewhere with him? I wasn't sure. But my curiosity got the best of me.

An hour later, I was sitting in Dean's car. "Where are we going?"

"So, long story short, my mom grew up in an abusive family. When she was twelve, her mom took her and her sister and run. They stayed at shelters until they were back on their feet. Her mom worked two jobs, and they lived in a dump, but they were safe, and that's what counts. Right?" He says it all in what seems like one breath. His tone indicates it was not the first or the last time he'll tell this story, but he obviously isn't okay with it. "Anyway, when she was old enough, she started volunteering at shelters. And from there, it all grew. She now owns a shelter for abused families. And since it's a family-oriented place, we get a lot of kids."

"Huh. That's... Wow. It's great that she's doing it, that she helps. At the same time, it's sad that places like that need to exist." I'm touched. This family is surprising me more and more, helping not only each other but strangers. That has me thinking about my mom. I don't remember much. I remember her face more from the photos, that memory. I have always wondered, was my father also abusive towards her, but I like to think not. I have a few good memories before my mom died and in pictures, he always looked happy and well put together, so I like to think she got the best in her life.