18 He Hurt Me

The table is set, the meat is ready, dessert is in the fridge and I'm pacing the kitchen stopping and straightening kitchen towels and then pacing again.

"Will you sit down?" Dante asks from the archway. "You're radiating so much energy, I want to run a marathon from just looking at you. It's going to be fine."

"I know," I say still moving. I'm restless, but it's not really from stress, I feel confident, it's more like I'm just anxious for this evening to start. I want this. Family together, eating, laughing. Me being a host and making sure everybody is happy. I want a happy family dinner.

"They're here!" Dean announces from the living room.

I want to squeal and jump around, I'm like a kid at Christmas.

Dean opens the doors and Eric, Karen, and Daisy come in. We hug and shake hands. Dean ushers everyone in the living room, while I offer drinks. We sit and chat, waiting for Logan to arrive.

"How is Noah doing?" I ask Eric.

"Better." Eric smiles at me. "He's talking with a psychologist and he started to talk to me." He announces proudly.

"He says one word to you. Hi, bye, yes and no." Karen says acting exasperated, but clearly proud about Eric, or Noah, who knows?

"I'm happy he's getting better. He seems like a nice guy." I observe.

"Yeah, he does." Eric agrees.

When there's a knock on the door, I stand and rush to them. I beam at Logan as he comes inside. He shakes hand with Eric and kisses Karen's cheeks. We finally sit at the table and get to the eating.

"This is heavenly," Eric says between bites of the pork chop.

"You're an excellent cook," Karen adds approvingly.

"Thank you." I blush, feeling my cheeks and ears burning. This is awesome. We eat and continue chatting.

"What happened to your hand?" Daisy asks looking at Logan's right hand. I look at his hand too noticing his knuckles are red with scabbards and his hand a bit swollen.

"Nothing," Logan answers sharply.

"It doesn't look like nothing." Daisy continues looking at him suspiciously.

"Leave it alone, Daisy," Dean says. Surprised, I peek at him, but he's pushing his food around the plate, not looking up.

"So Dante, you get your cast off tomorrow?" Eric asks, shifting the conversation.

"Probably, but we'll see what the doctor says," Dante answers clearly on the board with the change of topic.

When it's time for dessert, Dean and Logan as usual help me to clear the table. It's kind of our thing by now, and it makes me smile. When I enter the kitchen Dean and Logan are whispering about something and I only catch the end of it.

"... from me too?" Dean says.

"Yeah." Logan chuckles.

I frown but don't say anything. We set the desserts and drinks and sit back down.

"I think this is the best family dinner I have ever had," I whisper to Dean, beaming. He smiles back at me and winks. I eat my dessert happy and content looking at my family. My family.

As the thought enters my mind, I stop, looking around. Yeah, they are my family, maybe not by blood, but I do care about them immensely. They all took me in and accepted me and took care of me. I smile and continue to eat. After desert everybody retreats back to the living room, Dean and Logan clearing the table. I go to the kitchen to tell them that I'll wash the dishes later and that they should join others in the living room.