ᴜɴᴏ

john keyes sighed, looking up at the tall building as he slowly got out of his mom's car. he didn't see anyone he recognized, and he enjoyed that. he waved to his mom, watching as she drove off. john looked around, smiling slowly. "i might just get you out of my head, milk boy." he whispered, shifting and picking up the boxes his mother's boyfriend had loaded out of the car.

john smiled, laughing at his friend, cameron. "listen, fitzy, just admit you're wrong!"

"nope, strawberry ice cream is by far the best ice cream ever." cameron shook his head, crossing his arms and smiling at john in a way that no friend smiles at a friend.

"definitely not!" john shook his head, "vanilla, duh."

"you're both wrong." a girl smiled, sitting next to cameron. "chocolate."

"you're all basic!" a boy huffed, flopping next to the girl. "rocky road, obviously."

john had a strange inkling that he knew the boy from somewhere, but he couldn't really be sure. it was dark in the room, of course, cameron always kept it that way. "disgusting!" john huffed, pouting slightly and looking at cameron.

cameron's heart fluttered. "nope, strawberry is still the best."

john groaned, the girl and boy just laughing.

long story short, that night ended with the boy handing out beers and two certain boys, one named john keyes and the other named cameron mckay, doing the devil's tango.

it had been three days, john keyes and cameron mckay hadn't spoken about what happened that night and cameron didn't know if he was ready to. he didn't think that would ever happen and now he hoped that john would be the first to bring it up because he definitely wasn't going to.

"strawberry for you," john hummed, sitting next to cameron and handing him a small cone.

cameron smiled at him, still believing that john's heart was fluttering like his as he leaned forward quietly.

john, not thinking of what could possibly result from his actions, leaned forward and pecked cameron's lips. little did he know, cameron's heart exploded and his head was filled with thoughts of weddings and boys in his bed. john's heart, however, stayed at a normal pace and his thoughts were filled with a boy that smelled of milk and raspberries who was dead because of him. 

so, john went back to his single dorm that night and called his friend from his home town, darryl. oh, was he glad when darryl answered. of course, john had left to get all thoughts of jaren out of his head, obviously that wasn't working too well.

"john?" darryl murmured, sounding sad and confused.

"hey, darryl, how are you?" john whispered, climbing into his bed.

darryl shifted, looking out of his window before mumbling into the phone. "i'm alright. have you gotten him out of your head?" the heartbroken boy was making john's heart ache because no one knew how much they all missed tyler until they called darryl.

so john just bit back the truth, lying through his teeth when he told darryl that maybe, just maybe, he'd be able to visit for the holidays because it was going really well, his mission to get jaren out of his head.

well, that was entirely a lie, but john could hear how relieved darryl sounded so he decided to not fess up. because that's worked so well for john in the past, hasn't it?

john hummed, walking into the cafeteria with cameron. "who was that guy, from the other night?" john asked after a moment, "he said rocky road was better then vanilla."