Chapter 3:

Misty scrambled out of the yard.

"Rain?" Misty called. She heard a little noise near a trash can. She went around the trash can to see what it was. It was a young kitten, a little older than Misty. She was shivering frantically and had an open wound on her leg.

"Uh, wh-who are you? A-are you okay?" Misty stammered.

"A dog. It-it attacked me. I barely escaped. I-I can't walk, and it probably picked up my scent. Go away. It's going to come soon," she said.

"Dog?! You think I'm going to leave you here and let you die?" Misty asked. "Where do you live? I'll take you back there,"

"I was dumped. I don't have a home," the chocolate brown kitten whimpered.

"Me too. No worries. Well, get somewhere safe... soon," Misty assured her, but she herself wasn't sure either.

They walked for a while, with the kitten leaning on Misty for support until they came to a road where two-leg monsters lurked.

"We'll just have to be quick and watch for incoming two-leg monsters," Misty meowed.

"But I can't walk fast enough," she said.

"We'll do it together."

"Okay..."

A few monsters passed and soon enough, there was a clearing for them to run through to the other end.

"One, two, three!" Misty said.

They ran, well barely, across the road.

"Now we just need to keep go-" Misty started but stopped in amazement to look at where we had come to.

It was a beautiful green forest with bright leaves with sparkling water droplets on them. The bark was as brown as chocolate and the air smelled of fresh grass.

"Let's go in there!" the chocolate-colored kitten meowled.

"Yeah, and maybe we can cover your wound with a leaf?" Misty suggested as the kitten limped to the forest.

She ran in after her.

It was about noon already and they had found a nice hollow log to sleep in. Misty was holding some leaves onto her wound while tying it with long grass.

"That'll last. At least until the morning," Misty chuckled.

"Yeah... Thanks. You saved my life!" she meowed.

"Hah, Nah... or maybe," Misty laughed. "What's your name even?" Misty asked the chocolate brown kitten.

"Barka," she replied.

"Barka? What does that mean?" Misty asked.

"I'm not sure... Maybe they thought I was a boy so they named me Bark but then changed it to Barka because I was a girl? Well, what's your name?"

"Oh, me? Mine is Misty."

It was getting dark and the moon was covered by massive grey clouds.

"I think it's going to rain," Barka whispered.

"Yeah... it's going to rain..." Misty whispered.

"Rain!" Misty cried as she jerked up, banging her head on the roof of the log.

"Yeah, rain. Why did you become so alert all of a sudden? We have a place to stay, after all," Barka meowed curiously.

"No, I mean Rain! My sister! I left her back at home!" Misty cried.

"I thought you said you were dumped," Barka meowled.

"Yeah but not exactly. Our owner was giving us to the other two-legs and we ran away. But that doesn't matter now. What matters is my sister and I have to find her!"

"It's too late. It's dark and we can't go back," Barka meowed.

"Yeah," Misty meowed silently as she slumped on the rough wood of the log. "It's too late... I'll never find her."

Misty and Barka quietly fell asleep, cuddling together.